Megabus, after delays, nearing a move to new Austin stop


The discount bus company, now operating from a UT-area parking lot, will move soon to 15th and San Jacinto.

Megabus has leased and renovated a former gas station and expects to begin its bus runs there by year’s end.

The move, approved by the city more than a year ago, had been delayed by unspecified contractor problems.

Thursday morning was not a good time to be waiting for a Megabus in Austin.

Just after 10 a.m., with the bus to Dallas not yet on scene, six waiting passengers were huddled on the north side of the company’s “terminal,” that being a parking lot at 2002 Whitis Ave. just off the University of Texas campus. The temperature, my iPhone said, was 42 degrees. But with a strong north wind whipping around, it felt much colder. Everyone there (including this reporter) was pretty much freezing.

In less than a month, assuming Megabus officials aren’t being overly optimistic again, that situation will improve. The company’s new Austin stop, a refurbished former gas station at 1500 San Jacinto Blvd., complete with bathrooms and plenty of indoor seating, should be ready by the end of December, spokesman Sean Hughes told me.

The opening will come about 15 months after the Austin City Council gave final permission to Coach USA, Megabus’ New Jersey-based parent company, to lease the property from owner Bob Woody and use it as a bus terminal. And about four months later than the company, in July, had said that it would open.

“Contracting delays,” Hughes explained, sort of, in an emailed answer about the delay.

At any rate, after about 4½ years of service in Austin from curb sides and, by 2014, that humble parking lot on Whitis, the low-cost bus company will now have a sheltered, climate-controlled home for its customers.

Some work remained when I visited the site last week.

The outside, which had been a quirky green-yellow-and-red combo in the building’s last use as a restaurant, now wears a sparkling white coat of paint, with green tile and accents in Megabus blue. A new curb has been laid down along 15th Street (more on that in a minute).

A single painter was working on the building’s interesting, Art Deco interior, which has huge windows covering most of its curved walls and that same pretty green tile setting off the new white and blue paint. There appeared to be a small counter that Megabus employees could use, but no equipment installed at this point. One of the entryways was sealed with plywood, presumably awaiting delivery and installation of a door.

The thousand or so square feet was more or less empty, with a random chair the only furnishing at this point. Hughes said there will be plenty of seating for passengers waiting to board Megabus’ double-decker, 81-seat coaches.

The open question is whether the new location, which lies about a half-mile southeast of the current Megabus stop, will discourage ridership by University of Texas students in particular. West Campus, where so many students live, will go from being a short stroll to a Megabus to at least a 15-minute walk — with luggage.

On the other hand, the new stop, located in the middle of the Capitol complex just three blocks from the statehouse, could draw from the thousands of state employees working nearby. It will be much closer, though still a decent walk, from downtown on the other side of the Capitol. And of course the low-if-varying fares — book early enough and you might pay only a dollar one way, with a $2 booking fee — will remain.

Hughes said Megabus riders here had been asking for an upgrade from standing in a parking lot, and “we are happy to give them what they want.” Certainly the prospect of shelter will be a selling point.

“That’s going to really help on days like this,” said David Vartian, an Austin Community College student waiting Thursday morning to make the four-hour trip to Dallas. Vartian, 20, who had paid $20 for a round-trip ticket, was huddling in an alcove of the Dobie Center to avoid the icy winds.

He said he uses Megabus five or six times a year to visit his parents in Frisco, north of Dallas. The new site will be more inconvenient than the lot on Whitis, he said, but that likely wouldn’t discourage his use of the service.

Megabus might not have had much choice. City officials in 2014 had made it clear they weren’t happy with the parking lot location, devoid as it is of bathrooms and shelter. So the company went looking, and the old filling station emerged as an alternative.

As I wrote in 2015, some unexpected bumps emerged. The station sits right next to the only dwelling for many blocks around that urban bastion of bureaucracy, a 10-unit apartment house. Its owners opposed the project, complaining that early morning and late night buses would disturb the peace of their tenants, and that buses emerging during afternoon rush hour on East 15th Street would further snarl heavy traffic generated by state workers heading home.

The city eventually granted permission for Megabus to make the move, but with conditions. The buses will enter and exit the corner site on San Jacinto, not 15th, and there will be no bus runs 4-6 p.m. on weekdays, before 7 a.m. or later than 11 p.m.

It’s worth noting that Megabus isn’t the only cross-country bus service out of Austin. Greyhound and Trailways still operate out of a depot in North Austin on U.S. 290 and Airport Boulevard, and the luxury option Vonlane offers rides from the Hyatt Regency hotel on Lady Bird Lake.

But if you’re using Megabus in the next few weeks, consider this a heads-up. Depending on when you go, and how soon the company actually gets things in shape on San Jacinto, the bus (finally) might be waiting for you in a different spot.

Reader Comments ...

Next Up in Local

Dog recovers after attack by hawk in backyard
Dog recovers after attack by hawk in backyard

A dog in Massachusetts is on the mend after she was attacked in her backyard by a hawk. It's been a few days for Daisy and her owner Susan Nascimeno after the 10-year-old bichon frise was attacked by a hawk Monday afternoon while fenced in her East Freeport backyard.  "She was just covered in blood -- her chest, back, butt, everything was...
Texas man gets life in prison for beating, stomping girlfriend's baby
Texas man gets life in prison for beating, stomping girlfriend's baby

A Texas man was sentenced to life in prison Wednesday after his conviction for beating and stomping his girlfriend’s baby to death, KDFW reported. Joshua Beard and the child’s mother, Alexis Botello, are accused of burying the girl in Parker County. According to police, in 2014 Beard slammed 18-month old Tylea so hard onto a bed that...
Missing 15-year-old Kentucky girl found safe in Louisville, police say
Missing 15-year-old Kentucky girl found safe in Louisville, police say

A 15-year-old Kentucky girl who left school to leave with an unknown person has been found, WKYT reported Thursday. Amber Renae Wagers was found safe in Louisville, the Berea Police Department said in a Facebook post. Wagers, 15, walked out of Berea Community School around 10 a.m. Wednesday to leave with an unknown person, police said. Investigators...
James Shaw Jr. raises $170,000 for Waffle House shooting victims
James Shaw Jr. raises $170,000 for Waffle House shooting victims

James Shaw Jr., who disarmed a gunman who opened fire at a Waffle House in Tennessee on Sunday, has raised more than $170,000 in a fundraiser to help the victims’ families, CNN reported. Shaw, who wrestled a rifle away from the gunman and tossed it over the counter, launched a GoFundMe campaign that easily topped its $15,000 goal. Four...
Kim Jong Un steps over border, meets with South Korean leader Moon Jae-in
Kim Jong Un steps over border, meets with South Korean leader Moon Jae-in

In an electric moment, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un stepped over the heavily fortified demilitarized zone to shake hands with South Korean President Moon Jae-in, Reuters reported Friday. Smiling and holding hands, the Korean leaders met for the first summit between the two nations in more than a decade.  It’s the first time since...
More Stories