Trump inauguration riot trial goes to the jury


San Antonio photojournalist Alexei Wood is one of six defendants facing 50 years in prison if convicted.

Nearly 200 people are charged with rioting, conspiracy to riot and destruction of property.

The first trial of nearly 200 Inauguration Day protesters charged with rioting, conspiracy to riot and destruction of property went to a jury Friday afternoon, a month after it began.

Freelance photojournalist Alexei Wood of San Antonio and five other defendants could receive more than 50 years in prison and thousands of dollars in fines if convicted. The judge dropped one felony count of inciting a riot.

Wood is one of two journalists, both from Texas, who have been charged in the case, which centers on First Amendment rights: freedom of assembly, freedom of speech and freedom of the press.

There are so many defendants — 188 after the six on trial now — that Superior Court Judge Lynn Leibovitz is trying them in small groups in trials scheduled through the end of 2018. Initially, 234 people were charged; 20 cases were dismissed, and there were 20 guilty pleas.

The closing arguments by the government and defense focused on the prosecution theory that the group had organized with the intention of disrupting the inauguration of President Donald Trump on Jan. 20. Damage to storefronts with broken glass and other destruction totaled over $103,000.

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK: Our Lone Star Politics page brings Capitol news to your Facebook feed

“We’ve been here for the last few weeks because the defendants agreed to destroy your city, and now they’re hiding behind the First Amendment,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Rizwan Qureshi said.

“This wasn’t just any riot,” he said. “This wasn’t spontaneous. This was advertised. This was planned.”

The most visible evidence that the protesters were organized with a game plan, said Qureshi, was that the vast majority were dressed in black, most with masks or other face coverings to avoid identification, and with changes of clothing in their backpacks and items such as goggles to protect from pepper spray.

The case appears likely to turn on video evidence, taken from cellphones, surveillance and store cameras and especially Wood’s 42-minute video of the entire event, livestreamed on Facebook, which Qureshi said was the single most important piece of evidence in the trial. The “riot,” according to lead prosecutor Jennifer Kerkhoff in her opening statement, lasted “16 city blocks, 33 minutes.”

It was Wood, 37, who provided continuous coverage. But he was not wearing black and his face is frequently visible in the video when he turns the camera on himself . He can often be heard voicing whoops and providing commentary.

The prosecutor used Wood’s video against him by showing clips of the Texan appearing to enjoy some of the damage — “whoo,” he called out as he filmed someone drawing on a wall, “we got some gra-fi-tay” for graffiti. Wood, who frequently interspersed his comments with “y’all,” is heard also saying “whoo” when the windows of a limousine are being broken and “whoo-whoo” in front of a McDonald’s that had some windows broken.

At one point, he conveyed the excitement of the march by saying, “This is Seattle ’99,” referring to violent skirmishes in protest of the World Trade Organization at the “Battle of Seattle,” which Wood said he was sorry he missed. “I’m (expletive) blissed out,” he said.

Qureshi said of Wood, “It’s not journalism. … He is aiding and abetting. He is egging them on.”

READ: Texas CHIP money good through February; Cornyn promises long-term fix

Qureshi also challenged Wood’s credentials as a journalist and said police seized a “fake press badge” from Wood that had his picture but the name “John Osburn,” which was never explained by the defense. Wood and his attorney, Brett Cohen, told the American-Statesman that he didn’t use the press badge to identify himself, but Wood would not say who Osburn was.

“The closest Mr. Wood has gotten to a journalist is the people he’s talked to about being arrested. His conduct is criminal,” Qureshi said.

Cohen, Wood’s attorney, rejoined in his closing that his client was being pursued by prosecutors “for journalism the government doesn’t like.” Wood, he said, was there “to deliver a message of what is going on in the streets — your streets — of D.C.”

As for the bogus press badge, Cohen asked, “Are you required to have a press pass to be a journalist?” He said that “sometimes people don’t want to be identified,” adding that “there are many reasons why anyone would have a fake press pass.”

He pointed to the 9,000 pages of data extracted from Wood’s cellphone, which Cohen said make clear that his client was coming to D.C. to cover the inauguration and did not participate in any conspiracy.

Cohen said that “the internet has expanded that definition” of journalism and that he would leave it up to the jury to decide and that Wood’s “vocalizations” during the protest were for his video audience, not to egg on the protesters.

Wood, who maintains he is a journalist, did not testify in the case, nor did any of the other defendants. The lanky Texan with tousled, wavy hair was a distinctive presence during the trial, wearing three-piece suits with mismatched sneakers.

He said he’s had his life upended since being arrested Jan. 20. “I’m sort of floating around,” Wood told the Statesman. He has put all his belongings in storage in San Antonio and has been helped by supporters for the cost of travel and for his frequent stays in Washington.

Reader Comments ...

Next Up in Texas News & Politics

JUST IN: Local comedian stabbed 5 times in Southeast Austin attack
JUST IN: Local comedian stabbed 5 times in Southeast Austin attack

An Austin comedian is recovering after being stabbed five times during an attack in Southeast Austin last week. The stabbing happened around 11:46 a.m. on April 20 in the 4400 block of East Ben White Boulevard near Burleson Road. Seth Murray, 32, also known as Seth Goodtime, was walking from his girlfriend’s house on Matador Street to grab a...
Texas 130 set to expand as tollway freeze thaws
Texas 130 set to expand as tollway freeze thaws

The Texas Department of Transportation freeze on toll projects thawed somewhat Thursday, when the board governing the agency approved a $36.7 million contract to add lanes to Texas 130 east of Austin. The project to add a third lane to each side of the tollway between Texas 45 North and U.S. 290 was approved by the Texas Transportation Commission as...
Austin firefighters praise puppy that took on coral snake near children
Austin firefighters praise puppy that took on coral snake near children

Austin firefighters on Thursday praised a puppy that took on a coral snake that was just inches from a patio where two young children were playing. The puppy, a shih-poo named Panda, spotted the brightly colored serpent as a 1-year-old and a 3-year-old were playing on an apartment patio on the ground level of a building. “My awesome hero pet...
Vehicle crashes into Oracle campus wall, EMS says
Vehicle crashes into Oracle campus wall, EMS says

SOUTHEAST AUSTIN EMS: Vehicle crashes into Oracle campus wall A vehicle crashed into a wall at the Oracle campus in Southeast Austin on Thursday afternoon, Austin-Travis County EMS said. Medics responded at 1:41 p.m. to a vehicle-building crash in the 2300 block of South Lakeshore Boulevard near East Riverside Drive. Medics evaluated a person after...
Longer live music hours on Red River will remain in place
Longer live music hours on Red River will remain in place

Longer live music hours on Red River Street will stay for good, after a yearlong test that drew widespread praise and support. Austin City Council members agreed unanimously Thursday to permanently allow venues in the Red River Cultural District, between Sixth and 12th streets, to play amplified music until midnight on Thursdays and 1 a.m. on weekends...
More Stories