Drafthouse cuts ties with Fantastic Fest co-founder Harry Knowles


Highlights

A story published by IndieWire accused Knowles of groping a woman at Drafthouse events 17 years ago.

Knowles, the founder of Ain’t It Cool News, denies the allegations.

Midway through its signature film festival, Fantastic Fest, the Alamo Drafthouse has “severed all ties” with fest co-founder and Ain’t It Cool News founder/editor Harry Knowles after allegations of sexual misconduct, according to an email Drafthouse founder Tim League sent late Monday to Fantastic Fest attendees.

A story published by IndieWire last week accused Knowles of groping an Austin-area woman at Drafthouse events 17 years ago. Knowles denied the charges in the story and on Twitter.

The Austin Film Critics Association also announced via Twitter on Monday that its members had voted to remove Knowles from the group. (Note: Joe Gross and other Statesman movie writers are members of the critics association.)

This comes as the Drafthouse continues to deal with fallout after it was revealed Sept. 11 that Devin Faraci, who had resigned from the Drafthouse-owned Birth.Movies.Death last year after facing a groping accusation, had been working again at the company as an in-house writer.

League posted on social media an explanation of Faraci’s return to public life. But, noting that he was never consulted about this rehiring and that he objected to it, Fantastic Fest programmer Todd Brown quickly resigned in protest from the festival.

Faraci then cut ties with the Drafthouse, and League issued an apology, saying that he planned to meet with Drafthouse employees to discuss the situation.

In Monday’s email, League, who has not been at the festival this year, wrote: “On the festival front, in light of recent events and feedback we have gotten over the last few days, we have taken some first steps on the path to listening and ensuring that we create a safe, inclusive environment for our staff at both the theater and the festival as well as the community at large. I’ll be sharing more about this in the days and weeks to come.

“Moving forward, we have severed all ties with Harry Knowles and he is no longer affiliated with the company in any capacity. We are striving to better respond to allegations of sexual assault and harassment, and will take actions so those who work at the theater or attend as a guest are not made to feel unsafe.”

League also said the festival is creating a new board of directors headed up by longtime Drafthouse employee and Fantastic Fest programmer Kristin Bell.



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

George H.W. Bush hospitalized in Maine
George H.W. Bush hospitalized in Maine

Former President George H.W. Bush was hospitalized Sunday after “experiencing low blood pressure and fatigue,” spokesman Jim McGrath announced in a Twitter post. Bush was taken to Southern Maine Health Care in Biddeford, Maine. “He will likely remain there for a few days for observation,” McGrath said. “The former president...
Bicyclist’s death ruled a hit-and-run, Kyle police ask public for leads
Bicyclist’s death ruled a hit-and-run, Kyle police ask public for leads

7:30 p.m. update: Kyle police have ruled that the cause of death of a bicyclist whose body was found along Interstate 35 a hit-and-run, according to a news release. Hays County Precinct 2 Justice of the Peace Beth Smith ordered an autopsy of the cyclist, whose identity has not yet been released. Police are asking the public’s help in locating...
Man injured in North Austin stabbing, EMS says

NORTH AUSTIN EMS: Man injured in stabbing A man in his 30s was injured early Sunday after a stabbing in North Austin, officials said. Austin-Travis County EMS and Austin police responded to reports of stabbing at Rutland Drive and N. Lamar Blvd. shortly after midnight. Medics took the victim to Dell Seton Medical Center with serious, not expected to...
Man arrested after firing gun in crowded Sixth Street area, police say
Man arrested after firing gun in crowded Sixth Street area, police say

Austin police arrested early Sunday a man accused of firing a weapon in a crowded area on Sixth Street, according to an arrest affidavit. Officers responded just after 2 a.m. to the intersection of Sixth Street and San Jacinto Road after reports of shots being fired in the area. Police say the shooter, identified in the affidavit as 22-year old Keshawn...
Texas Digest: Officers say man brandished handgun before they shot him

SOUTHEAST TEXAS Officers kill man they say had gun Texas Rangers are investigating the fatal shooting of a 51-year-old man in Southeast Texas after authorities said he threatened officers with a handgun. Authorities said police from Silsbee and Hardin County sheriff’s deputies made a traffic stop Saturday and the man emerged from his truck carrying...
More Stories