Dozen people displaced after northeast Austin fire on New Year’s Day

4:50 p.m Monday, Jan. 1, 2018 Local
A fire New Years Day morning in a northeast Austin apartment complex displaced 12 people and caused $90,000 in damages.

A dozen people were displaced by a fire New Year’s Day morning that caused thousands of dollars worth of damage at a northeast Austin apartment complex.

The Austin Fire Department responded to the fire at the Avesta Agave apartments on 1901 East Anderson Lane at about 9:45 a.m. and evacuated the building. Crews had extinguished the fire by about 10:15 a.m., officials said.

Fire officials said they believe an air conditioning malfunction started the fire in the attic.

The fire caused about $90,000 in damages and the building lost power, officials said.

The local Red Cross is assisting displaced residents in finding temporary housing.