A two-story Central Austin apartment was evacuated Tuesday night as firefighters battled a blaze behind a fireplace, Austin fire officials said.
No injuries were reported, fire officials said. Firefighters responded to the fire in the 900 block of 40th Street at Hancock Square Apartments just before 10 p.m.
The fire was accidental and caused when a fireplace firebox failed, officials said. Firefighters worked to extinguish a fire in a wall behind a chimney.
Two apartments were damaged; one person’s apartment is currently uninhabitable, officials said. The fire caused an estimated $25,000 in damage to the building.
928 E 40th Crews working to extinguish fire pic.twitter.com/m2d7dQOZY9— Austin Fire Info (@AustinFireInfo) December 27, 2017