Hays County Commissioner Will Conley steps down to run for judge


Hays County Commissioner Will Conley is stepping down from his post to seek the Republican nomination for county judge, he announced Tuesday night at a press conference.

County Judge Bert Cobb has been on leave since August as he battles cancer. Cobb is not seeking re-election when his term expires in 2018, Conley said.

“These are critical times and I’m running for county judge to keep up the fight so our families can enjoy a high quality of life for generations to come,” Conley said.

The Hays County judge is the top administrative official in the county, similar to a mayor, and presides over the commissioners court, which sets the budget and makes policy decisions.

Conley said he will continue to serve as commissioner until Cobb appoints a replacement. That person will have to run on the next available ballot, which will be the March 2018 primary and then November 2018 general election.

Conley was first elected commissioner in 2004 for precinct three, which includes San Marcos and Wimberley.

He is also serving his sixth consecutive year as chair of the Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization, a regional board of officials who focus on transportation issues. He was the group’s first chair to come from outside Travis County.

Conley emphasized in a press release his coordination with the Texas Department of Transportation in securing road project partnerships as one of his major accomplishments.

He often points to the “pass-through” financing reimbursement he worked out from the Texas Department of Transportation for road projects from the county’s 2008 bonds, including improvements to FM 1626 that started last year.

Under the agreement, the county paid for the work, and the state then promised to gradually repay the county $133 million over time as roads meet traffic standards that trigger the reimbursements. Those projects came in under budget, meaning the state will pay the county more than the county actually spent.

Conley lives in Wimberley with his wife, Erin, and three children. He owns and operates an auto services business with locations in Wimberley and Kyle.

He will officially kick off his campaign on Nov. 7 at the Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood.

“I am deeply grateful to this county, and especially the residents of San Marcos and the Wimberley Valley,” Conley said. “Serving this community is the honor of a lifetime, and I am excited about what we can do together in the future.”



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Politics

Hutto hires 4 new staff members
Hutto hires 4 new staff members

The city of Hutto has four new staff members, including a new chief financial officer and a new director of human resources. The city also has a new executive director of engineering and construction, and a new city secretary. Hutto’s former chief financial officer, Michel Sorrell, left to spend more time with family and friends, according to...
Trump appears to voice support for raising assault rifle age to 21, presses case for arming some teachers
Trump appears to voice support for raising assault rifle age to 21, presses case for arming some teachers

President Donald Trump on Thursday appeared to voice support for raising the age at which someone could buy an assault rifle to 21, and he doubled down on his idea of arming some teachers as a deterrent for school shootings.  In a series of morning tweets, the president claimed the latter strategy would be far less costly than hiring guards and...
Students take charge of gun-safety movement with some help from existing groups
Students take charge of gun-safety movement with some help from existing groups

On Sunday night, at 7:39 p.m., a half-dozen students from Iowa City High School logged onto a group chat and began planning their first-ever protest for gun safety. They wanted to do something in solidarity with the students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, where a gunman had killed 17 the week before.  "We need...
In world of conspiracy theories, even teenagers aren’t off limits
In world of conspiracy theories, even teenagers aren’t off limits

David Hogg, 17, went from Florida high school student to mass shooting survivor to telegenic advocate for gun-control laws in a few days. And just as quickly, online conspiracy theorists began spinning viral lies attacking the teenager's credibility.  By Wednesday — a week after a gunman wielding a semiautomatic rifle had killed 17 people...
Trump’s solution for school shootings: Arm teachers
Trump’s solution for school shootings: Arm teachers

Seated between teenage survivors of the Florida school shooting, President Donald Trump said during an Oval Office listening session Wednesday that arming teachers and posting gun-toting veterans in schools could deter or stop school shooters.  His comments came during an emotional meeting that included Vice President Mike Pence, Education Secretary...
More Stories