The Austin district board Monday night approved the 2018-19 school calendar, and students will attend school one less day than this year. Here are the highlights:
• Students will be back in class Monday, Aug. 20, but summer will come early as they get out May 24, 2019, the Friday before Memorial Day.
• Students will attend school 176 days, one day less than in the 2017-2018 calendar.
• Students still must meet state required 75,600 instructional minutes. Broken down by campus levels, high school students will spend the most time on campus: elementary schools will have 76,032 minutes, middle schools will have 76,035 minutes, and high schools will have 79,200 minutes.
• High school final exams will be given prior to winter break.
• Students will get an entire week off for Thanksgiving, with student holidays running Nov. 19-23.
• Winter break will start on Friday, Dec. 21 and run through Jan. 1, 2019.
• Spring break remains a full week, from March 18 through March 22, 2019.
• Bad weather make up days, if needed, are scheduled for Feb. 18 and April 19, 2019.
Other tidbits include two elementary parent conference days, 187 teacher duty days, starting Aug. 13 (11 work days for teachers without students), and eight staff development days.
More than 25,000 parents and employees (a 20 percent increase) gave feedback on the calendar options.