EXCLUSIVE: UT stabbing suspect never the same after crash, parents say


Kenneth and Shantina White say their son’s behavior changed after a car crash in early April.

His parents sought medical treatment for Kendrex White, but tests were inconclusive.

For Kendrex White’s parents, April 4 marked a critical turning point in their son’s life — the beginning of a descent from being a college student with academic accolades to an accused killer charged with an unprovoked attack on four fellow students at the University of Texas.

That day, White was in a crash at Whitis Avenue and Dean Keeton Street, leading to his drunken driving arrest and major damage to his car. Kenneth and Shantina White don’t know if their son hit his head, but they do know he never acted the same afterward.

“There was just something wrong,” Kenneth White said of his son. “You could ask him a question, and the answer was just erratic. A lot of hand movement. To see him, like he was, you get frightful.”

The Whites said they initially questioned their son’s symptoms. Then he had his first-ever seizure.

Over the next five weeks, Kenneth and Shantina White took him to the emergency room in their hometown of Killeen, which led to an additional stay in a psychiatric facility through an involuntary commitment. Doctors ran multiple tests, including brain scans, but the parents say they never settled on an official diagnosis.

The Whites got their son back to Austin by late April for school, but made the 150-mile roundtrip every few days to check on him and take him to dinner. At one point, he disappeared, and they called the police and asked check on him.

Within days of their last conversation, the Whites got a call that their only child had gone on a stabbing spree at UT, killing 19-year-old Harrison Brown and injuring three others in what police say was a random attack.

The parents say they are still trying to comprehend what happened.

“My heart goes out to all families involved in this incident,” Shantina White said, at times speaking through tears. “We are so sorry. We are so sorry. We didn’t see this coming a mile away, and we are so sorry. I’m still trying to wake up from this nightmare.”

The Whites, who were both in the military and stationed at Fort Hood, agreed to a one-hour interview with the American-Statesman and KVUE-TV on Wednesday, nine days after the attack that sent fear throughout the Central Austin campus. Police have said they think Kendrex White’s mental health likely played a role and are working to gather medical records and other evidence that might provide insight into what happened.

The comments from White’s parents, who said they wanted to give the public more information about their son’s mental health, came the day after he was interviewed by Houston station KPRC-TV from the psychiatric ward at the Travis County Jail, during which he recounted his memories of the attack.

“I walked around campus a little bit, just kind of enjoying the ambiance,” White told the station. “It was weird because no one noticed me. I pulled out my knife. My heart started beating really fast and no one moved and then I struck a table and no one acknowledged that I did that. They kept going on with their conversations.”

He said he doesn’t remember stabbing anyone, however.

“I had a dream. It showed my face and I thought maybe it was possible I could have done it, but I didn’t remember doing it myself, if that makes any sense,” White told the station.

On Wednesday, White’s lawyers condemned the interview, saying White lacked the mental capacity to understand that he was talking to the media.

Kenneth and Shantina White said their son graduated with top honors from high school in Killeen and always wanted to attend UT, despite other college offers. He was studying biology and wanted to become a cardiologist — a profession he chose as a child.

“Whatever he did, he did to his best,” Kenneth White said. “As parents, we had never even been to the principal’s office.”

They said that before the accident, their son appeared well-adjusted at UT. He made new friends, but also maintained relationships with high school classmates attending the university.

An arrest affidavit shows White may have been having symptoms of mental distress the night of the crash. The court document said that he told officers that he had been prescribed “happy pills” and was lying on the ground when police showed up.

On the day of the stabbing, White’s lawyer on the DWI charge recognized him from a photograph of UT officers arresting him and sent it to his parents.

They confirmed it was him and raced to Austin.

“You look at the magnitude of how many families are hurting right now, and that just makes your hurting that much worse,” Kenneth White said. “It’s hard to fathom.”

Shantina White added, “Kendrex has a great heart, and I don’t what’s going on with him, but I know this is not the child we know.”

Reader Comments ...

Next Up in Local

Asylum-seeker released from Taylor detention center, group says
Asylum-seeker released from Taylor detention center, group says

A Salvadoran woman seeking asylum who has said that a guard groped her inside a Williamson County immigration detention facility has been released, a group supporting her said Saturday. Laura Monterrosa was released from the T. Don Hutto detention facility in Taylor on Friday night, the group Grassroots Leadership said. It did not say where Monterrosa...
Texas open-government advocates look to 2019 to improve transparency
Texas open-government advocates look to 2019 to improve transparency

Open government advocates are spending the year ahead of the 2019 legislative session rallying allies to restore access to public information lost after a 2015 Texas Supreme Court ruling. That year, the court ruled in Boeing v. Paxton that information that could help a business’ competitor cannot be made public, even if that company enters into...
Austin girl, 7, sets record in climbing Mount Kilamanjaro
Austin girl, 7, sets record in climbing Mount Kilamanjaro

An Austin girl has become the youngest female to climb Mount Kilamanjaro, a friend of the family said Saturday. Montannah Kenney, 7, reached the summit of the mountain Friday with her mother at her side every step of the way, said Declan Waters. The two began their trek up the 19,341-foot mountain in Tanzania on March 10, said Waters, who has been...
Of course Bill Murray pops by as alumnus gifts UT with comedic posters
Of course Bill Murray pops by as alumnus gifts UT with comedic posters

The Harry Ransom Center at the University of Texas holds some of the most treasured cultural artifacts the world over, one of the school’s distinguished alumni, Cappy McGarr, said Saturday. That includes one of only eight copies of the Gutenberg Bible in the United States and the first photograph ever taken, two centuries ago. The storied...
JUST IN: Person in custody after intentional dumpster fire at Kohl’s, $100K in damages
JUST IN: Person in custody after intentional dumpster fire at Kohl’s, $100K in damages

Fire investigators took a person into custody Saturday after they say a fire was intentionally started in a dumpster outside of a Kohl’s in North Austin. The Austin Fire Department responded around noon Saturday to a fire in the dumpster at the store at 13609 North Interstate 35. The blaze was contained to the dumpster and did not spread...
More Stories