breaking news

Bombing suspect Mark A. Conditt proposed ending sex offender registry

One felony charge dropped in Dukes’ corruption case as deadline looms


DPS crime analyst examined an incorrect date when looking into Rep. Dawnna Dukes’ cellphone activity.

Prosecutors have until Oct. 30 to decide whether to take 12 felony charges to trial.

Dukes’ attorneys dispute allegations that Dukes failed to turn over her cellphone to investigators.

The erosion of the criminal corruption case against state Rep. Dawnna Dukes is continuing ahead of an Oct. 30 deadline, as prosecutors acknowledge they will abandon one of the 13 felony counts against the Austin Democrat over an investigator’s error.

Dukes was indicted in January on charges she falsified travel vouchers to collect a $61.50 per diem 13 different times on days when she did not work at the Capitol.

But in a recent court filing, the Travis County district attorney’s office indicated a crime analyst with the Texas Department of Public Safety examined the wrong date when looking into Dukes’ cellphone activity to determine her whereabouts related to a travel reimbursement voucher she submitted in 2013. The mistake resulted in a felony count that erroneously stated Dukes turned in a falsified voucher for Dec. 22, 2013.

Justin Wood, the lead prosecutor on the case, declined to comment for this story. In the filing, he asserted that if the case goes to trial he will “move to waive or abandon Count IV of the indictment.” The dropped charge effectively brings Dukes’ maximum jail sentence from 28 years to 26 years if convicted on all charges, which include two misdemeanors.

“I question the motivation and the haste of their prosecution of Rep. Dukes,” her attorney, Matthew Shrum, said. “That they can’t see the sloppiness of the investigator that led to the abandoned felony count is just puzzling.”

The rest of the felony charges are also in doubt.

Dukes’ attorneys released a bombshell in September in the form of a sworn statement from a House official who said Dukes had to work from Austin — and not necessarily the Capitol — to qualify for reimbursement. That blindsided prosecutors, who had believed that witness, Steven Adrian, executive director of the House Business Office, would testify that Dukes had to be at the Capitol to collect the money. Three of Adrian’s employees signed declarations affirming what he said to Dukes’ attorneys.

Soon after, District Attorney Margaret Moore announced she would put the felony charges on hold, but at a hearing last month state District Judge Brad Urrutia set the Oct. 30 deadline, telling prosecutors to “fish or cut bait.”

All told, prosecutors had alleged that Dukes scammed the government out of $799.50. That total with the dropped charge is $738.

According to court records regarding the charge that will be dropped, Elizabeth Buhay, a crime analyst with the DPS telecommunications research analysis center, discovered on Oct. 2 that she mistakenly used cellphone data from Oct. 22, 2013, instead of Dec. 22, 2013, when she mapped Dukes’ cellphone activity. After realizing her error, Buhay analyzed the correct date and found activity near downtown Austin, which puts Dukes “within range of the Capitol building,” the document states.

Prosecutors were required by law to turn over documents detailing the error to Dukes’ attorneys.

Buhay’s mistake happened in the early stages of the case, as did the confusion over Adrian’s interpretation of voucher reimbursement rules. The lead prosecutor at that time was Susan Oswalt, who retired this summer and handed over the case to Wood.

It is unclear how prosecutors, DPS investigators and Texas Rangers failed to notice these holes in the case during an investigation that spanned more than 18 months. Oswalt declined to comment when reached by phone.

Moore has not indicated which way her office is leaning ahead of the Oct. 30 deadline. If prosecutors continue with the case, they must show Adrian’s reading of the reimbursement rules is wrong, or that Dukes was not in Austin on the dates in question.

In a related development, Dukes’ attorneys dispute an assertion by prosecutors that Dukes hid a cellphone from investigators. A list of 19 extraneous acts that prosecutors filed last month states Dukes responded to a search warrant for her cellphone by providing investigators a phone that did not match the identification number of the model they requested.

But Shrum said he personally turned over the correct phone to investigators.

“I do not have any idea where the DA’s office is coming from when they say she turned over the wrong phone,” he said. “It’s out of the blue.”

Reader Comments ...

Next Up in Local

Supreme Court sides with Texas death row inmate
Supreme Court sides with Texas death row inmate

Siding with a Texas death row inmate Wednesday, the U.S. Supreme Court ordered a lower court to take another look at Carlos Ayestas’ request for money to properly investigate the inmate’s claims of schizophrenia, history of brain injuries and similar issues. Known as mitigating evidence, such information is supposed to be provided...
Bombing investigators return to Austin FedEx facility, police say
Bombing investigators return to Austin FedEx facility, police say

Authorities investigating previous reports of a suspicious package at a FedEx ground facility near Austin-Bergstrom International Airport returned to the facility on Wednesday, the second response to the location in as many days. Earlier in the day, sources told the American-Statesman that suspected Austin serial bomber who apparently killed himself...
THE NEIGHBORHOOD: Authorities converge on Pflugerville home in Austin bombing case
THE NEIGHBORHOOD: Authorities converge on Pflugerville home in Austin bombing case

Authorities have blocked off portions of North Second Street in Pflugerville, the location of a home linked to Mark Conditt, the suspect in a series of deadly Austin bombings. Texas Department of Public Safety troopers blocked off traffic to the street where Conditt may have lived but would not confirm that the blockade was related to the bombing investigation...
THE SUSPECT: Mark A. Conditt proposed ending sex offender registry
THE SUSPECT: Mark A. Conditt proposed ending sex offender registry

11:30 a.m. update: In 2012, when he was 17 years old, Austin bombing suspect Mark Conditt laid out his political views in a series of blog posts he wrote for an Austin Community College course on U.S. government. No motive for the bombings has been disclosed, either by the bomber or by authorities. Four bombings in Austin over 17 days left two people...
Criner’s lawyers want DNA evidence in Haruka Weiser case tossed
Criner’s lawyers want DNA evidence in Haruka Weiser case tossed

Lawyers will discuss DNA evidence Wednesday in the murder trial of the man suspected of killing University of Texas freshman Haruka Weiser in April 2016. The defense for Meechaiel Criner is trying to get results from a DNA test tossed from his July trial. They have argued the testing was flawed. Criner is accused of strangling Weiser, whose body was...
More Stories