NEW INFO: Judge adds bond conditions to teen accused of threat at Akins High School


A teen accused of threatening to shoot and blow up Akins High School last week who was released from jail after posting a $15,000 bail with restrictions now has conditions to remain free.

Ariel Alex Ramirez Navarro, 17, was booked into the Travis County Jail on Feb. 22 and charged with making a terroristic threat, a third-degree felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.

Police said Navarro showed students a backpack loaded with ammunition, a magazine and smoke bombs on Thursday morning, and told them he intended to use them at Akins.

The reported threats sparked a manhunt and an hours-long lockdown of the school’s campus.

News that Navarro had been released from jail on bond with no conditions irked Travis County District Attorney Margaret Moore and already worried parents, many of whom rushed to the school on Thursday to pick up their children without knowing what was going on.

Moore said she was appalled to learn that Navarro was cut loose with no further orders or restrictions.

On Monday Judge Patrick J. McNelis signed an order imposing several conditions on Navarro including the following:

  1. Getting a mental health evaluation and following all its recommendations.
  2. Staying at least 500 yards from Akins High School.
  3. Having a Global Positioning System monitoring device installed within 48 hours.
  4. Navarro must not possess any type of weapon at his residence or on his person.

Judge Celeste Villareal, who originally set Navarro’s bond, said she came to her decision to set a bond amount based upon information provided by the arresting officer and the probable cause affidavit he handed in. 

“The bond amount I set was fairly high for a first offender with no criminal history and no juvenile or adult arrests of any kind,” Villareal said in an emailed statement. “There was also no indication or evidence of any mental health issues.”

Villareal said she received new information from the district attorney’s office day after the incident, and agreed that adding conditions was appropriate.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

Man gets 8-year sentence in Round Rock wreck that killed woman in 2016
Man gets 8-year sentence in Round Rock wreck that killed woman in 2016

A Hutto man has received an eight-year sentence in prison in the death of a woman in a crash outside of Round Rock in 2016. Hernan Martinez, 24, pleaded guilty Wednesday to manslaughter and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon for the wreck that killed 68-year-old Joan Chaney on Dec. 14, 2016, his lawyer said. He received the plea deal in exchange...
Texas has history of family separations, deportations
Texas has history of family separations, deportations

This is not the first time in Texas history that Latino migrants and refugees have been systematically intimidated, detained or deported, nor the first time that the fate of their separated children became the central drama. In April, U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced a “zero-tolerance” policy that has prompted the criminal...
Austin man gets 99 years in drug-related murder

When a 19-year-old Austin man reached out and apologized to a drug dealer he robbed, he figured everything was smoothed over and they could go on amicably, prosecutors say. A year later, Kenneth Johnson climbed into a car with the dealer’s brother and quickly found out that he wasn’t forgiven after all. Within minutes, Johnson had been...
3 asylum-seekers separated from their children sue federal government

Three Central American asylum-seekers are suing the federal government after they were separated from their children. The three plaintiffs are suing the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the Department of Health and Human Services and other agencies. They also name 10 government officials. According to Politico...
Southwest Key considered giving up contracts over family separations
Southwest Key considered giving up contracts over family separations

Leaders at an Austin-based nonprofit that operates 16 shelters for immigrant children in Texas considered ending its relationship with the federal government amid furor over President Donald Trump’s zero tolerance immigration policy, the organization’s CEO told the American-Statesman on Thursday. “We said, what if we … didn&rsquo...
More Stories