Alcohol sales at Austin bars, restaurants and hotels jumped 4 percent in May, according to an American-Statesman analysis of data from the state comptroller’s office.
Bartenders citywide poured $63.3 million worth of beer, wine and mixed drinks last month, up from $60.9 million in May 2016.
With patrons downing $23.4 million in booze, the 78701 ZIP code, which includes most of downtown Austin, including the Sixth Street Entertainment District, was responsible for more than a third of Austin’s total.
Across Texas, sales were up 3 percent, hitting $554 million.
The top-selling business, statewide, was the Gaylord Texan Resort in Grapevine, where bar tabs topped $1.7 million.
In Austin, the JW Marriott hotel, 110 E. Second St., once again led the pack, with registers there taking in $984,610.
Chupacabra Cantina, 400 E. Sixth St., was next, coming in at $486,150, followed by Rose Room, 11500 Rock Rose Ave., with $484,422.99.
The rest of Austin’s top 10 list includes:
- Top Golf, 2700 Esperanza Crossing, $446,420
- Four Seasons Hotel Austin, 98 San Jacinto Blvd., $434,441.94
- Oasis Cantina del Lago, 6550 Comanche Trail, $422,640
- The Dogwood Domain, 11420 Rock Rose Ave., $406,438.96
- Circuit of the Americas, 9201 Circuit of the Americas Blvd., $403,265.97
- W Hotel Austin, 200 Lavaca St., $403,262.99
- Container Bar, 90 Rainey St., $395,326.87
Top sellers* in other Central Texas communities were:
- Bastrop: Old Town Restaurant and Bar, 931 Main St., $58,993.88
- Bee Cave: Woody’s Tavern and Grill, 12801 Shops Pkwy., $99,380.90
- Buda: Buck’s Backyard, 1750 S. FM 1626, $103,105.97
- Cedar Park: Chuy’s, 4911 183A toll road, $137,090.90
- Dripping Springs: Deep Eddy Distilling Co., 2250 E. U.S. 290, $65,390
- Georgetown: El Monumento, 205 W. Second St., $103,331.94
- Kyle: Casa Garcia’s Mexican Restaurant, 5401 FM 1626, $82,498.96
- Lago Vista: Copperhead Grill, 6115 Lohmans Ford Road, $17,042.99
- Lakeway: Lakeway Resort and Spa, 101 Lakeway Drive, $135,956.87
- Leander: Brooklyn Heights Pizzeria, 3550 Lakeline Blvd., $56,833.88
- Liberty Hill: Jardin Corona, 15395 W. Texas 29, $46,158.96
- Pflugerville: Mavericks, 1700 Grand Avenue Pkwy., $117,790
- Round Rock: Third Base, 3107 S. Interstate 35, $142,798.96
- San Marcos: Zelicks Icehouse, 336 W. Hopkins St., $145,363.88
- Spicewood: Angel’s Icehouse, 21815 W. Texas 71, $62,568.96
- Sunset Valley: Doc’s Backyard, 5207 Brodie Lane, $80,476.87
- West Lake Hills: Lupe Tortilla, 701 S. Capital of Texas Highway (Loop 360), $101,285.97
*Addresses are listed as reported in records from the state comptroller’s office, but might not reflect the jurisdictions that receive tax revenue from each business’ sales of alcoholic beverages.