Austin bars, restaurants and hotels saw alcohol sales soar by 11 percent in February, according to new data from the state comptroller’s office.
An American-Statesman analysis found drink tabs citywide totaled $54.3 million last month, up from $48.9 million in 2015.
Sales of beer, wine and mixed drinks were up statewide, as well. Across Texas, bartenders poured $498.8 million worth of alcohol – a 6 percent year-over-year increase.
San Antonio’s AT&T Center, home of the San Antonio Spurs, ranked No. 1 in the state, selling $2.8 million worth of alcoholic beverages.
Austin’s top-selling business, yet again, was the year-old JW Marriott hotel, 110 E. Second St., coming in at $998,227.91.
A newcomer, the Dogwood location in the recently opened Rock Rose entertainment district at The Domain, was next on the list. The bar, 11420 Rock Rose Ave., sold $558,937.91 worth of booze.
“The amount of volume coming from our newest Dogwood and our neighbors at Jack and Ginger’s shows how much Austin has needed and can support an entirely new entertainment district,” said Jason Carrier, who co-founded The Dogwood with partners at Carmack Concepts, Brad and Chad Womack. “Rock Rose is a perfect blend of local bar and restaurant concepts. We are packed with customers who are ecstatic that they now have an option other than downtown. Rock Rose has free parking and is an inexpensive Uber ride for anyone who lives north of 2222.”
Chupacabra Cantina, 400 E. Sixth St., placed third, with receipts totaling $459,775.97.
The rest of Austin’s top 10 list includes:
- Top Golf, 2700 Esperanza Crossing, $383,458.96
- Hilton Austin Hotel, 500 E. Fourth St., $369,787.91
- W Hotel Austin, 200 Lavaca St., $358,333.88
- Alamo Drafthouse South Lamar, 1120 S. Lamar Blvd., $348,960.90
- Perfect 10 Men’s Club, 16511 Bratton Lane, $322,684.93
- Four Seasons Hotel Austin, 98 San Jacinto Blvd., $319,534.93
- Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, 8212 Barton Club Drive, $317,070
Top sellers* in other Central Texas communities were:
- Bee Cave: Woody’s Tavern and Grill, 12801 Shops Pkwy., $75,832.99
- Buda: Willie’s Joint, 824 Main St., $45,854.93
- Cedar Park: Cedar Park Center, 2100 Avenue of the Stars, $105,542.99
- Dripping Springs: Trudy’s Four Star, 13059 Four Star Blvd., $57,834.93
- Georgetown: El Monumento, 205 W. Second St., $80,304.93
- Kyle: Casa Garcia’s, 5401 FM 1626, $69,574.93
- Lago Vista: Copperhead Grill, 6115 Lohmans Ford Road, $12,753.88
- Lakeway: The Grove Wine Bar and Kitchen, 3001 S. RM 620, $96,352.99
- Leander: Brooklyn Heights Pizzeria, 3550 Lakeline Blvd., $53,790
- Liberty Hill: Jardin Corona, 15395 W. Texas 29, $30,436.87
- Pflugerville: Mavericks, 1700 Grand Avenue Pkwy., $114,360.90
- Round Rock: Ricks Cabaret, 3105 S. Interstate 35, $180,023.88
- San Marcos: The Marc, 120 E. San Antonio St., $129,721.94
- Spicewood: Angel’s Icehouse, 21815 W. Texas 71, $44,543.88
- Sunset Valley: Doc’s Backyard, 5207 Brodie Lane, $71,776.87
- West Lake Hills: Lupe Tortilla, 701 S. Capital of Texas Highway (Loop 360), $80,808.96
*Addresses are listed as reported in records from the state comptroller’s office, but might not reflect the jurisdictions that receive tax revenue from each business’ sales of alcoholic beverages.