Dustin Johnson’s back injury probably isn’t that serious and shouldn’t sideline him more than a month, his agent/manager David Winkle told the American-Statesman on Friday afternoon.
In fact, if there had been even half of another day for the world’s No. 1-ranked golfer to ready himself after injuring his back in a freak fall down some stairs Wednesday night, he might have played in the Masters instead of having to withdraw Thursday afternoon.
Johnson was the overwhelming favorite to win his first Masters after capturing his last three tournaments in as many starts, including the WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play.
“One doctor said, ‘It’s a shame I don’t have 12 more hours, as I think I could have you ready to go,’ ” Winkle told the Statesman. “The doctors who examined Dustin both feel it’s muscular in nature.”
Winkle said Johnson is “likely” to sit out about a month and return to play May 4-7 in the Wells Fargo Championship at the Eagle Point Golf Club in Wilmington, N.C.