You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to myStatesman.com

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and bonus content- exclusively for subscribers. Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks

X

Welcome to myStatesman.com

This subscriber-only site gives you exclusive access to breaking news, in-depth coverage, exclusive interactives and bonus content.

You can read free articles of your choice a month that are only available on myStatesman.com.

N.Korea says it's not afraid of US threat of military strike


North Korea said Monday it is not frightened by U.S. threats of possible pre-emptive military action to halt its nuclear and missile buildup.

A spokesman for North Korea's Foreign Ministry slammed U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson's recent talk of tougher sanctions, more pressure, and possible military action, and said the North would not be deterred in its nuclear program.

"The nuclear force of (North Korea) is the treasured sword of justice and the most reliable war deterrence to defend the socialist motherland and the life of its people," the official Korean Central News Agency quoted the spokesman as saying.

Tillerson recently visited Japan, South Korea and China on trip that focused on North Korea's nuclear program. On Friday, he signaled a tougher strategy that left open the possibility of pre-emptive military action.

"Let me be very clear: The policy of strategic patience has ended," he said after visiting the heavily militarized border between the rival Koreas. "We are exploring a new range of diplomatic, security and economic measures. All options are on the table."

A day earlier, in Japan, Tillerson had described the past 20 years of U.S. policy toward North Korea as a failure and vowed a comprehensive policy review under U.S. President Donald Trump.

KCNA quoted the unidentified Foreign Ministry spokesman as saying the U.S. should accept that North Korea is a nuclear-capable nation that "has the will and capability to fully respond to any war the U.S. would like to ignite."

"If the businessmen-turned U.S. authorities thought that they would frighten (North Korea), they would soon know that their method would not work," he said.

On Saturday, North Korea conducted a ground test of a new type of high-thrust rocket engine that leader Kim Jong Un called a revolutionary breakthrough for the country's space program, KCNA reported earlier.

North Korea has accelerated its weapons development, violating multiple U.N. Security Council resolutions without being deterred by sanctions. It conducted two nuclear test explosions and 24 ballistic missile tests last year. Experts say it could have a nuclear-tipped missile capable of reaching the U.S. mainland within a few years.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Nation & World

Viral video captures dramatic chase after alleged theft from construction site
Viral video captures dramatic chase after alleged theft from construction site

Construction workers are about the hardest-working people in America. Once you’ve put shingles on a roof in the summer, there’s not much else that can hurt you. But one thief apparently decided to try to test his luck, and it did not end well for him. According to KTVT, a now-viral video taken from a security camera in University Park,...
Rising tide of white nationalism evident in Georgia
Rising tide of white nationalism evident in Georgia

One example of a rising tide of white nationalism shambled into a federal district courtroom in Gainesville Wednesday. William Christopher Gibbs wore shackles, orange Crocs and a dirty, mustard-yellow jumpsuit with the word “INMATE” stenciled on back. He had an unruly shock of curly blond hair and an unshaven look that gave cover to an...
Cincinnati nightclub shooting: What we know now
Cincinnati nightclub shooting: What we know now

One person was killed and 15 injured, at least two critically, when gunfire erupted early Sunday morning at a hip-hop nightclub in Cincinnati,Ohio. Police are searching for multiple shooters, and have not made any arrests, yet. >> Read more trending news The man who was killed at the Cameo Night Club has been identified as 27-year-old Obryan...
Baby born with 'parasitic twin' undergoes risky surgery, makes remarkable recovery
Baby born with 'parasitic twin' undergoes risky surgery, makes remarkable recovery

A baby girl is beginning her new life after a successful but risky surgery to remove extra body parts from what doctors call a “parasitic conjoined twin.” Baby Dominique was born in the Ivory Coast in Africa with four legs and two spines. According to Advocate Health Care, the extra body parts were from an undeveloped parasitic...
Miffed neighbors say Ivanka Trump, Jared Kushner have 'ruined the neighborhood'
Miffed neighbors say Ivanka Trump, Jared Kushner have 'ruined the neighborhood'

Neighbors of first daughter Ivanka Trump and her husband, Jared Kushner, held a meeting last week to complain that the new arrivals in D.C. weren’t doing their part to make things livable for others in the neighborhood. Even though former President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama live a short distance away, and Secretary...
More Stories