Glenn Beck dismissed from clock kid lawsuit
A judge has dismissed conservative commentator Glenn Beck as a defendant in a lawsuit filed by the father of a Muslim boy arrested after taking a homemade clock to his Irving school.
State District Judge Maricela Moore on Monday dismissed claims against Beck, his network, and against a conservative think tank, The Dallas Morning News reported.
Beck’s attorney, Michael Grygiel, said Beck was pleased with the ruling.
In September, Mohamed Mohamed filed the defamation lawsuit on behalf of himself and his 14-year-old son, Ahmed, who was arrested in 2015 after his clock was mistaken for a hoax bomb.
Mohamed had argued that comments made by Beck and others led the public to believe his family members were terrorists.
Irving Mayor Beth Van Duyne remains a defendant in the lawsuit.
Company recalling chicken breasts
Federal officials say a Houston company is recalling more than 3,500 pounds of chicken breast product due to mislabeling and undeclared allergens.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service says the chicken — produced by Perfect Fit Meals — might contain milk and wheat, known allergens that aren’t declared on the product label.
Officials say there have been no confirmed reports of anyone getting sick from eating the chicken.
The ready-to-eat chicken breast items were made on Dec. 20 and Dec. 21 and placed in 10.5 ounce packages labeled “From the Kitchen of Cooking Light Magazine: Lemon Pepper Chicken.” The package has a “use or freeze by” date of 1/2 1/17 and a lot code 2457744.2.
The chicken product was shipped to military commissaries and retail establishments nationwide.
Death row inmate loses appeal
The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals has rejected an appeal from a man sent to death row for fatally stabbing a disabled woman at her San Antonio home after she refused to give him and his girlfriend money to support their $1,000-a-day drug habit.
Lawyers for 40-year-old Armando Leza contended he was innocent of the 2007 slaying of a neighbor, 57-year-old Caryl Jean Allen, and that his deficient trial lawyers contributed to a Bexar County jury’s decision to convict him and give him the death penalty. The appeals court sent the appeal back to the trial court, which held a hearing and recommended the arguments be rejected.
The appeals court ruling Wednesday supports the trial court’s findings.
Leza’s girlfriend also was charged and testified against him in a plea deal.
Concerns remain after boil-water order
Officials in the South Texas city of San Benito have lifted a boil-water order, but questions about water quality remain as they work to retrofit a 90-year-old water plant to provide a safe drinking supply.
The boil-water order was lifted Tuesday after water pressure problems that began over the weekend.
The city was being assisted by nearby Harlingen, which provided its own water to fill storage tanks and water towers, the Valley Morning Star reported.
San Benito’s water woes include a 2014 decision to shutter the city’s nearly $18 million water plant, which had opened only five years earlier.
Portions of the plant’s filters proved too costly, and replacement parts took months to deliver.
City leaders are now planning to spend $3 million to upgrade the former water plant.
Man charged in woman’s death
Authorities have arrested a 61-year-old man who is being accused of killing a woman whose body was found burning on the side of a San Antonio road.
The Bexar County sheriff’s office said that Antonio Nuñez Jr. faces a first-degree murder charge in the death of 47-year-old Lisa Carter.
In a news release, the sheriff’s office said Nuñez and Carter had been in and out of a relationship for many years.
Authorities say Carter’s body was found in August 2015. Her body hadn’t been identified until last month; deputies had found no identifying documents when she was discovered.
Investigators haven’t released a cause of death.