You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to myStatesman.com

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and bonus content- exclusively for subscribers. Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks

X

Welcome to myStatesman.com

This subscriber-only site gives you exclusive access to breaking news, in-depth coverage, exclusive interactives and bonus content.

You can read free articles of your choice a month that are only available on myStatesman.com.

Iraqi refugee pleads guilty to trying to help Islamic State


An Iraqi refugee who authorities say wanted to set off bombs at two Houston malls pleaded guilty Monday to trying to help the Islamic State group.

Omar Faraj Saeed Al Hardan admitted as part of his plea deal that he pledged his loyalty to the Islamic State in November 2014 and almost immediately trained to use tactical weapons, including an AK-47. He faces up to 20 years in federal prison when he is sentenced Jan. 17 on a charge of attempting to provide material support or resources to a designated foreign terrorist organization.

The 24-year-old came to Houston from Iraq in 2009. Beginning in June 2014, Al Hardan developed a relationship with a confidential informant, discussing hopes to travel overseas to fight with the Islamic State group, according to authorities.

Homeland Security Special Agent Herman Wittliff testified days after Al Hardan’s indictment in January that the suspect had been learning how to make electronic transmitters that could be used to detonate explosives. Wittliff said Al Hardan hoped to bomb two Houston malls, including the popular Galleria mall, and wanted use cellphones — a collection of which were found in his apartment — to detonate the devices.

An FBI statement at the time assured that Al Hardan never had an “active or planned plot targeting a specific location in Houston or elsewhere.”

Prosecutors alleged Al Hardan was coordinating efforts with another Iraqi refugee living in California, Aws Mohammed Younis Al-Jayab, and that the two men discussed getting weapons training and eventually sneaking into Syria to fight alongside the Islamic State.

Al-Jayab is jailed in Chicago on allegations of trying to support a terrorist group. The 23-year-old Iraqi-born Palestinian man also is charged in California with lying to investigators about traveling to Syria.

Al-Jayab flew from Chicago to Turkey on Nov. 9, 2013, then traveled to Syria, federal prosecutors said. Authorities say he joined a group later affiliated with the Islamic State, though he told investigators he was just visiting his grandmother in Turkey.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

Amateur Florida python hunters can win prizes
Amateur Florida python hunters can win prizes

Catch a snake, win a shirt. And perhaps more. That’s the pitch being made by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, which on Monday introduced a “Python Pickup Program.” According to the Tampa Bay Times, anyone who captures a python in the wild can submit a photo of the snake they caught in order to win...
Bill O’Reilly breaks silence on podcast
Bill O’Reilly breaks silence on podcast

Bill O’Reilly broke his silence on Monday night, telling listeners during his 19-minute, “No Spin News” podcast on his website that “I am sad that I am not on television anymore.” >> Read more trending news It was the first time O’Reilly had addressed listeners after he was fired from Fox News last week...
Heist in South America is ‘robbery of the century’
Heist in South America is ‘robbery of the century’

Authorities are calling a heist in South America the “robbery of the century” after dozens of gunmen stormed a private security firm in Paraguay, CNN reported. More than 50 people carrying large caliber weapons detonated explosives and set vehicles on fire as they stole millions of dollars and sparked a violent police chase into Brazil...
President Trump’s Hollywood star vandalized again
President Trump’s Hollywood star vandalized again

For the second time in less than six months, President Donald Trump’s Hollywood Walk of Fame star has been vandalized, the New York Daily News reported. In October, a 52-year-old man destroyed the star with a pickax and sledgehammer. This time, the Hollywood star was defaced with a black marker and an obscene phrase, according to a photograph...
Florida man steals woman’s panties, leaves them on porch with note
Florida man steals woman’s panties, leaves them on porch with note

A Florida man allegedly stole woman’s underwear from her bedroom and left her other pairs on her property along with handwritten notes, deputies said.  >> Read more trending news Isitro Lee Sanches, 58, of Panama City, was identified as the alleged panty thief after the woman’s boyfriend caught Sanches inside their home, the...
More Stories