Saturday’s Kentucky Derby has 20 horses and a ton of story lines, but perhaps none that match Goldencents.
Goldencents, the third choice in early Derby betting, has a part owner who just won a basketball national championship and an African-American jockey aiming at the history books.
The story you’re reading is premium content from the Austin American-Statesman. Subscribers get total access to all our in-depth news, digital editions and exclusive premium content. You can also buy a 24-hour digital pass or 7-day digital pass.
Read MyStatesman.com now — 24-hour digital pass99¢ for 24-hours
Read MyStatesman.com all week — 7-day digital pass$3.99 for 7-days
Subscribe to the Statesman for as little as 33¢ per dayView Offers
For Subscribers: Register your account for digital access.Access Digital
For Subscribers: Sign in here if you have already registered your account.Sign In
Kentucky Derby Odds
Field for Saturday’s 139th Kentucky Derby:
1. Black Onyx;Kelly;Breen;Joe;Bravo;50-1
4. Golden Soul;Dallas;Stewart;Robbie;Albarado;50-1
5. Normandy Invasion;Chad;Brown;Javier;Castellano;12-1
7. Giant Finish;Anthony;Dutrow;Jose;Espinoza;50-1
10. Palace Malice;Todd;Pletcher;Mike;Smith;20-1
11. Lines of Battle;Aidan;O’Brien;Ryan;Moore;30-1
13. Falling Sky;John;Terranova;II;Luis;Saez;50-1
15. Charming Kitten;Todd;Pletcher;Edgar;Prado;20-1
17. Will Take Charge;D.;Wayne;Lukas;Jon;Court;20-1
18. Frac Daddy;Kenny;McPeek;Victor;Lebron;50-1
19. Java’s War;Kenny;McPeek;Julien;Leparoux;15-1
x-21. Fear the Kitten;Mike;Maker;Alan;Garcia;15-1
Weights: 126 pounds. Distance: 1¼ miles. Purse: $2,199,800 if 20 start. First place: $1,439,800. Second place: $400,000. Third place: $200,000. Fourth place: $100,000. Fifth place: $60,000. Post time: 5:24 p.m. TV: NBC