The coronation of Hays High as the new champion of Class 4A softball completed an impressive turnaround for the Lady Rebels.
When Aaron Fuller took over as coach in 2012, he inherited a team that was coming off a playoff-less season. In the history of their program, the Lady Rebels had never advanced past the third round of the playoffs, and their most-recent trip to the postseason’s second round had come in 2003.
The story you're reading is premium content from the Austin American-Statesman. Subscribers get total access to all our in-depth news, digital editions and exclusive premium content. You can now also buy a 24-hour digital pass or 7-day digital pass.
For Subscribers: Sign in here if you have already registered your account.Sign In
For Subscribers: Register your account for digital access.Access Digital
Read MyStatesman.com now — 24-hour digital pass99¢ for 24-hours
Read MyStatesman.com all week — 7-day digital pass$3.99 for 7-days
Subscribe to the Statesman for as little as 33¢ per dayView Offers
Teams from Austin metro-area schools won nine state championships during the 2012-13 school year:
- Cedar Park: UIL Class 4A, Division II football
- Hays: UIL Class 4A softball
- Georgetown: UIL Class 4A girls basketball
- Lake Travis: UIL Class 5A boys golf; UIL Class 5A girls golf
- Marble Falls Faith: TAPPS Class 2A boys tennis; TAPPS Class 2A girls tennis
- Regents: TAPPS Division II boys swimming
- Round Rock Christian: TAPPS Class 3A volleyball