Earlier this high school track and field season, Westlake’s Carly Grandcolas was introduced to an unexpected competitor in the long jump: her sister Corinne.
On a whim, Westlake jumps coach Daniel Hunter decided during a meet that Corinne needed to add the long jump to her other events — the triple jump and the high jump. In that meet, she finished second to — guess who? — Carly.
The story you're reading is premium content from the Austin American-Statesman. Subscribers get total access to all our in-depth news, digital editions and exclusive premium content. You can now also buy a 24-hour digital pass or 7-day digital pass.
For Subscribers: Sign in here if you have already registered your account.Sign In
For Subscribers: Register your account for digital access.Access Digital
Read MyStatesman.com now — 24-hour digital pass99¢ for 24-hours
Read MyStatesman.com all week — 7-day digital pass$3.99 for 7-days
Subscribe to the Statesman for as little as 33¢ per dayView Offers
Running off to regional meets
This weekend brings regional meets for track and field competitors across the state. Some notes on the area standouts who will be competing:
- An all-district wide receiver this past fall, Leander senior Tevin Smith won gold in the 200 meters and silver in the 100 meters at the Lions’ area meet, which matched athletes from District 24-4A against those from 25-4A. For good measure, Smith anchored Leander’s 800-meter relay team to a first-place finish.
- Bastrop football teammates Antwuan Davis, who has signed with Texas, and Aneas Henricks — a Texas-San Antonio signee — finished 1-2 in both the 100 meters and 200 meters at a 4A area meet in Brenham.
- Dripping Springs junior Steven Galli won gold in the 800 meters and silver in the 1,600 to qualify for regional competition in both races.
- LBJ’s Macahla Wesley finished first in two individual events — the 200 and 400 meters — and anchored the Jaguars’ 400-meter relay to victory at the 4A area meet at Burger Stadium.
- Cedar Park senior Chris Mulverhill won a pair of golds at his area meet, placing first in the 1,600 and 3,200 meters. Earlier this month, he won the high school steeplechase — perhaps his best event — at the Texas Relays, but that event isn’t offered in UIL competition.
- After winning the 100 in a personal-best time of 10.88 seconds, Vista Ridge’s Jonathan Hill returned to help the 400-meter relay to victory at an area meet.
Westlake’s Sydney Fowler finished first in the 300-meter hurdles while qualifying for three events at the Class 5A, Region II meet.
After she qualified in the 100 at the Class A area meet in Somerville, Thrall senior Tucker Kelm ran the anchor leg for the Tigerettes’ 1,600-meter relay that earned gold with a time of 4:19.92.
Stony Point junior Melanie Enriquez qualified for the Class 5A, Region II meet in the 1,600 and 3,200 meters.