Staci Johns’ freshman year wasn’t all that bad.
During her first year at Elgin High, Johns earned A’s in four pre-AP classes. She also hung out with friends at a handful of Elgin football games, coached a coach-pitch youth softball team and earned her driver’s permit.
The story you're reading is premium content from the Austin American-Statesman. Subscribers get total access to all our in-depth news, digital editions and exclusive premium content. You can now also buy a 24-hour digital pass or 7-day digital pass.
For Subscribers: Sign in here if you have already registered your account.Sign In
For Subscribers: Register your account for digital access.Access Digital
Read MyStatesman.com now — 24-hour digital pass99¢ for 24-hours
Read MyStatesman.com all week — 7-day digital pass$3.99 for 7-days
Subscribe to the Statesman for as little as 33¢ per dayView Offers
Elgin pitcher Staci Johns wasn’t the only freshman who stood out during the 2013 softball season. A look at seven rookie standouts from the Class of 2016:
- Emily Jones, East View: Infielder scored 51 runs and stole 29 bases as East View reached the playoffs in its first year of postseason eligibility.
- Hailey Mackay, Leander: First baseman produced 37 RBIs and powered Leander to the regional-championship round.
Megan McDonald, Georgetown: Speedy centerfielder anchored the Lady Eagles’ defense and was 25 of 26 on stolen-base attempts.
- Sara Sanders, Crockett: Daughter of a two-time All-Centex pitcher earned all-area honors in her varsity debut.
- Shelly Snyder, Hyde Park Baptist: Outfielder scored 50 runs and boasted a stellar batting average of .567.
- Amber Womack, Dripping Springs: Infielder hit .384 and was one of four freshmen on District 25-4A all-district squad.
- Emily Womble, Hyde Park Baptist: Earned TAPPS all-state honorable-mention honors after compiling 12 pitching wins, .576 batting average.
— Danny Davis