You’ll have to excuse Antwuan Davis if his favorite color isn’t silver.
Davis finished second in the 100-meter dash last year at the state track and field meet. The Bastrop senior also placed second in the 100 meters at the Class 4A, Region III meet last month, and he’ll bring the second-best qualifying time into Friday’s Class 4A state meet at Myers Stadium.
The story you’re reading is premium content from the Austin American-Statesman. Subscribers get total access to all our in-depth news, digital editions and exclusive premium content. You can also buy a 24-hour digital pass or 7-day digital pass.
Read MyStatesman.com now — 24-hour digital pass99¢ for 24-hours
Read MyStatesman.com all week — 7-day digital pass$3.99 for 7-days
Subscribe to the Statesman for as little as 33¢ per dayView Offers
For Subscribers: Register your account for digital access.Access Digital
For Subscribers: Sign in here if you have already registered your account.Sign In
STATE TRACK & FIELD MEET
Friday-Saturday, Myers Stadium
Tickets: $5, students; $10, adults; $25, all-session; $15, Saturday only
Sprint to the finish
Along with the 100-meter dash, Bastrop’s Antwuan Davis also will race in the 200 meters on Friday. The 200 will be a popular event for Austin-area athletes this weekend, as eight of them are entered in that sprint:
- Jayvon Dempsey, sr., Pflugerville: Bounced back from third-place showing at district meet with first- and second-place finishes at area, regional competitions.
- Judy Emeodi, sr., McNeil: A member of TCU’s 2013 signing class, Emeodi will compete in the Class 5A girls 100- and 200-meter dashes for the second straight year.
- Fred Kerley, sr,. Taylor: Class 3A event’s second-best qualifier also will compete in the triple jump and team with his brother Mylik on Ducks’ 1,600-meter relay.
- Shelby Leppin, sr., Cedar Park: The Texas A&M-bound Leppin has overcome an injury-shortened junior season and will compete in the Class 4A girls 100- and 200-meter dashes.
- C.J. Roles, sr,. Bartlett: The co-MVP in District 13-A, Division II football this past fall, Roles qualified with a 22.59-second clocking at the Class A, Region IV meet.
- Tevin Smith, sr., Leander: As the anchor for Leander’s 800-meter relay, Smith will have to run 200 meters twice on Friday.
- Macahla Wesley, sr., LBJ: A fifth-place finisher in this event in 2012, Wesley set the state of Kansas’ record in the girls 200 meters as a freshman.
Future Longhorns on campus
Some of the Longhorn signees who will be at the state track and field meet:
- Carlton Anumnu, Stafford (track and field): Class 3A boys 100 meters
- Logan Brittain, Canyon Randall (track and field): Class 4A boys high jump, long jump
- Antwuan Davis, Bastrop (football): Class 4A boys 100 meters, 200 meters
- Nekia Jones, Beaumont Ozen (women’s basketball): Class 4A girls discus, shot put
- Wolf Mahler, Belton (track and field): Class 5A 400 meters, pole vault
- Montrel Meander, Amarillo Palo Duro (football): Class 4A 200 meters
- Katie Ruhala, Lucas Lovejoy (track and field): Class 4A girls 3,200 meters
Listings include top qualifying time or mark in each event.
• Class 5A girls
100 meters (11.68 seconds): Judy Emeodi, McNeil, 11.83. 200 meters (23.81): Judy Emeodi, McNeil, 24.29. Pole vault (13 feet, 3 inches): Nicole Summersett, Westlake, 12-8. Long jump (19-4): Corinne Grandcolas, Westlake, 18-6 1/2.
• Class 4A girls
3,200 meters (10:46.25): Jenny Fritz, Dripping Springs, 11:08.35; Madie Boreman, Rouse, 10:55.41; Brittany Innis, Cedar Park, 10:58.44. 800 meters (2:12.25): Jessica Purtell, Georgetown, 2:13.80. 400-meter relay (47.30): LBJ, 48.07. 100 meters (11.73): Shelby Leppin, Cedar Park, 12.14. 400 meters (56.12): Dana Broadnax, LBJ, 57.67. 300-meter hurdles (42.62): Sarah Lewis, Marble Falls, 46.65. 200 meters (24.30): Shelby Leppin, Cedar Park, 24.75; Macahla Wesley, LBJ, 24.34. 1,600-meter relay (3:47.35): Rouse, 3:55.68. 1,600 meters (4:57.92): Madie Boreman, Rouse, 5:02.21. High jump (5-8): Ariana Gallegos, Lehman, 5-2. Pole vault (13-7): Rebekah Pogue, Hays, 11-0; Meagan Gray, Hays, 11-6. Long jump (19-1 ½): Deja Beechum, Rouse, 17-10. Shot put (47-10): Crystal Onwukaife, Cedar Park, 40-5.
• Class 3A girls
Pole vault (12-8): Kally Long, Wimberley, 12-8.
• Class 2A girls
Discus (133-5): Brianne Coffman, Jarrell, 120-3.
• Class 5A boys
300-meter hurdles (37.28): Dorian Parks, Austin High, 38.46. 200 meters (20.93): Jayvon Dempsey, Pflugerville, 21.74. 1,600-meter relay (3:15.14): McNeil, 3:19.95.
• Class 4A boys
3,200 meters (9:14.70): Chris Mulverhill, Cedar Park, 9:31.64. 800 meters (1:55.45): Darren Medrano, Georgetown, 1:57.09; Robert Uhr, Lockhart, 1:56.39. 100 meters (10.23): Antwuan Davis, Bastrop, 10.54. 400 meters (47.01): Anthony Johnson, Hutto, 47.91; Cody Schulz, Marble Falls, 49.39. 800-meter relay (1:25.17): Leander, 1:28.29. 300-meter hurdles (36.83): JW Smith, Elgin, 38.02. 200 meters (21.03): Tevin Smith, Leander, 21.41; Antwuan Davis, Bastrop, 21.29. 1,600 meters (4:13.09): Chris Mulverhill, Cedar Park, 4:21.70. Discus (185-5): J.W. Barnes, Georgetown, 160-1; Marcellus Henderson, Crockett, 163-10; Rey Baltazar, Marble Falls, 166-1. Long jump (24-6 ½): David Moritz, Cedar Park, 22-0 1/2.
• Class 3A boys
200 meters (21.52): Fred Kerley, Taylor, 21.78. 1,600-meter relay (3:16.79): Taylor, 3:20.28. High jump (6-6): Mylik Kerley, Taylor, 6-4. Triple jump (48-1 ½): Jadon Durity, Liberty Hill, 48-1 1/2; Fred Kerley, Taylor, 45-4.
• Class A boys
3,200 meters (10:13.30): Moises Montanez, Bartlett, 10:24.52. 800 meters (1:58.51): Keon Mays, Thorndale, 2:01.73. 400-meter relay (42.80): Thorndale, 44.30. 200 meters (21.88): C.J. Roles, Bartlett, 22.59. 1,600 meters (4:42.40): Moises Montanez, Bartlett, 4:50.09.