When the Dallas Cowboys have been at their best, they’ve always been able to run the ball with a vengeance.
Last year the Cowboys were so poor on the ground, they ranked next-to-last in the NFL in yards per carry (3.6) and rushing yardage (1,265). Only the Arizona Cardinals were worse.
The story you’re reading is premium content from the Austin American-Statesman. Subscribers get total access to all our in-depth news, digital editions and exclusive premium content. You can also buy a 24-hour digital pass or 7-day digital pass.
Read MyStatesman.com now — 24-hour digital pass99¢ for 24-hours
Read MyStatesman.com all week — 7-day digital pass$3.99 for 7-days
Subscribe to the Statesman for as little as 33¢ per dayView Offers
For Subscribers: Register your account for digital access.Access Digital
For Subscribers: Sign in here if you have already registered your account.Sign In
COWBOYS’ DRAFT NEEDS
1. Guard: Who are Mackenzy Bernadeau and Nate Livings? They are your starting guards. Yes, an upgrade is mandatory here.
Possible picks: 1st round, Jonathan Cooper (North Carolina); Kyle Long (Oregon); 2nd round, Brian Winters (Kent State)
2. Right tackle: Doug Free has been a bust since he signed a fat contract and was moved to right tackle. He’s a big reason Tony Romo is on his backside so much.
Possible picks: 1st round, D.J. Fluker (Alabama), Justin Pugh (Syracuse), Menelik Watson (Florida State)
3. Center: Yep, another o-line position that needs an upgrade. The unspectacular Phil Costa is the incumbent here.
Possible picks: 3rd round, Barrett Jones (Alabama); Travis Frederick (Wisconsin)
4. Safety: Barry Chuch and Will Allen seem more like stop-gap guys. Dallas has been ineffective here for years.
Possible picks: 1st round, Kenny Vaccaro (Texas); Eric Reid (LSU); Matt Elam (Florida). 3rd round, D.J. Swearinger (South Carolina); Baccari Rambo (Georgia)
6. Defensive tackle: Jay Ratliff and Jason Hatcher are starting to get beaten up and worn down.
Possible picks: 1st round, Sylvester Williams (North Carolina); 3rd round, John Jenkins (Georgia); Bennie Logan (LSU)
5. Running back: The oft-injured DeMarco Murray is about all the Cowboys have got left.
Possible picks: 1st round, Eddie Lacy (Alabama); 3rd, 4th rounds, Joseph Randle (Oklahoma State); Stepfan Taylor (Stanford); Marcus Lattimore (South Carolina)
Round 1; pick 18
Round 2; pick 47
Round 3; pick 80
Round 4; pick 114
Round 5; pick 151
Round 6; pick 185