The Statesman Capitol 10,000 has qualified as the largest 10K in Texas for decades — and in 2012 it ranked fifth nationally — but the Cap 10’s new race director, John Conley, holds an even bigger vision of the event.
The race reached its peak in 1987, when it drew 28,341 entrants, but fewer than 20,000 entered the 1991 race, and the Cap 10’s field didn’t climb back above 20,000 until 2010.
The story you're reading is premium content from the Austin American-Statesman. Subscribers get total access to all our in-depth news, digital editions and exclusive premium content. You can now also buy a 24-hour digital pass or 7-day digital pass.
For Subscribers: Sign in here if you have already registered your account.Sign In
For Subscribers: Register your account for digital access.Access Digital
Read MyStatesman.com now — 24-hour digital pass99¢ for 24-hours
Read MyStatesman.com all week — 7-day digital pass$3.99 for 7-days
Subscribe to the Statesman for as little as 33¢ per dayView Offers
Top 10 10K road races in the U.S.
According to Running USA, based upon total finishers these 10K races ranked 1 to 10 nationally in 2012:
1. Atlanta Journal-Constitution Peachtree Road Race;Atlanta, Ga.;58,043
2. Dick’s Sporting Goods Bolder Boulder;Boulder, Colo.;47,925
3. Cooper River Bridge Run;Charleston, S.C.;36,755
4. Ukrop’s Monument Avenue 10K;Richmond, Va.;33,329
5. Statesman Capitol 10,000;Austin;20,530*
6. Crescent City Classic;New Orleans;16,690
7. Bellin Run;Green Bay, Wis.;15,137
8. Thanksgiving Day Race;Cincinnati;14,862
9. Wharf to Wharf Race;Santa Cruz, Calif; 12,009
10. Richard S. Caliguiri Great Race;Pittsburgh, Pa.; 8.207
*Note: estimated finishers
Statesman Capitol 10,000
8 a.m. Sunday
Start: Barton Springs Road and South Congress Avenue
Finish: Auditorium Shores
How to register: statesman.com/s/cap10k/