Kliff Kingsbury isn’t sure who will play quarterback for Texas Tech this Saturday, but he’s pretty confident his 20th-ranked, unbeaten team doesn’t need to get into a shootout to win the game.
Defense is no longer just a rumor on the South Plains.
The story you're reading is premium content from the Austin American-Statesman. Subscribers get total access to all our in-depth news, digital editions and exclusive premium content. You can now also buy a 24-hour digital pass or 7-day digital pass.
For Subscribers: Sign in here if you have already registered your account.Sign In
For Subscribers: Register your account for digital access.Access Digital
Read MyStatesman.com now — 24-hour digital pass99¢ for 24-hours
Read MyStatesman.com all week — 7-day digital pass$3.99 for 7-days
Subscribe to the Statesman for as little as 33¢ per dayView Offers
BIG 12 POWER POLL
Rnk. (prev.) Team; Rec.;Next opponent; The skinny
1. (2) Baylor;4-0 (1-0); at Kansas State (2-3), Sat.;Rampaging Bears more like 800-pound gorilla in the room. By any name, they’re beasts.
2. (1) Oklahoma;5-0 (2-0); vs. Texas (3-2), Sat.;Red River Rivalry? Heck, pushy Sooners about to paddle down Lady Bird Lake … while Horns up a creek.
3. (3) Texas Tech;5-0 (2-0);vs. Iowa State (1-3), Sat.;Who are these masked riders defending their turf to tune of 13.8 points per game?
4. (5) TCU;2-3 (0-2);vs. Kansas (2-2), Sat.;Bad record, high ranking an indictment of conference and nod to nation’s toughest schedule.
5. (6) Texas; 3-2 (2-0);vs. Oklahoma (5-0), Sat.;Who’s your daddy, Mack? Why, it’s Bob Stoops, who’s notched four Bevo blowouts and two in row.
6. (4) Oklahoma State;4-1 (1-1);vs. TCU (2-3), Oct. 19;Slow-moving Cowboys keep poking along while ball-hawking defense saves their hides.
7. (7) West Virginia;3-3 (1-2);vs. Texas Tech (5-0), Oct. 19;Mountaineer D reported to Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center after suffering severe burns in 73-42 torching.
8. (8) Kansas State;2-3 (0-2);vs. Baylor (4-0), Sat.;Cats hope Kansas Highway Patrol flags fast-moving Bears for speeding in first out-of-state trip.
9. (9) Iowa State; 1-3 (0-1);at Texas Tech (5-0), Sat.;Poor Cyclones, they join list of Big 12 small fry “homered” at home vs. Longhorn Inc.
10. (10) Kansas;2-2 (0-1); at TCU (2-3), Sat.;Jayhawks gouged for 54 points by Tech, which is more than TT hoops team scored in Lawrence.