Rumor has it Johnny Football and Texas A&M are playing two-time defending national champ Alabama on Saturday.
Even closer to home, Texas fans are curious to see whether the Longhorns can hold Ole Miss under 700 yards.
The story you're reading is premium content from the Austin American-Statesman. Subscribers get total access to all our in-depth news, digital editions and exclusive premium content. You can now also buy a 24-hour digital pass or 7-day digital pass.
For Subscribers: Sign in here if you have already registered your account.Sign In
For Subscribers: Register your account for digital access.Access Digital
Read MyStatesman.com now — 24-hour digital pass99¢ for 24-hours
Read MyStatesman.com all week — 7-day digital pass$3.99 for 7-days
Subscribe to the Statesman for as little as 33¢ per dayView Offers
BIG 12 POWER POLL
Rank (last week) Team; Rec.;Next opponent;The skinny
1. (1) Oklahoma State;2-0(0-0);vs. Lamar (1-1), Sat.;Cowboys better round up some good lawyers because NCAA posse is about to come calling.
2. (2) Baylor;2-0 (0-0);vs. Louisiana-Monroe (1-1), Sept. 21;Sure, competition’s been weak, but high-octane Bears averaging 47 points … in first half!
3. (3) Oklahoma;2-0 (1-0);vs. Tulsa (1-1), Sat.;Bob Stoops’ offense, lacking competent passer, stalls Sooners, but brother Mike’s defense bails ’em out.
4.(4) TCU;1-1 (0-0);at Texas Tech (2-0), Thu.;Pass-rushing beast Devonte Fields to make first start this season after suspension. Run, Baker Mayfield, run.
5. (6) Texas Tech;2-0 (0-0);vs. TCU (1-1), Thu.;If Red Raiders bump Frogs in Thursday showcase, something special could be brewing in Lubbock.
6. (7) Kansas State;1-1 (0-0);vs. Massachusetts (0-2), Sat.;Sharp-looking juco tranfer Jake Waters could quickly become one of better passers in Big 12.
7. (4) Texas; 1-1 (0-0);vs. Mississippi (2-0), Sat.;So much for those declarations that the program’s fixed. Tackling 101 still not on curriculum at UT.
8. (8) West Virginia;1-1 (0-1);vs. Georgia State (0-2), Sat.;Mountaineers have done complete 180: They play respectable defense, but they can’t generate offense.
9. (10) Kansas;1-0 (0-0);at Rice (0-1), Sat.;Jayhawks’ win over I-AA team jumps them over Cyclones, who couldn’t beat their I-AA opponent.
10. (9) Iowa State;0-1 (0-0);vs. Iowa (1-1), Sat.;Don’t worry, ’Clones, date with Hawkeyes is usually just what it takes to cure your blues.