Seven other college football conferences have playoff games this weekend. The Big 12 has a Final Four of sorts. And possibly snow or ice, to boot.
A powerful Arctic cold front could make for wintry weather as the Big 12 rolls out its four best teams in a Saturday doubleheader: Oklahoma at Oklahoma State (11 a.m., ABC) followed by Texas at Baylor (2:30, Fox).
The story you're reading is premium content from the Austin American-Statesman. Subscribers get total access to all our in-depth news, digital editions and exclusive premium content. You can now also buy a 24-hour digital pass or 7-day digital pass.
For Subscribers: Sign in here if you have already registered your account.Sign In
For Subscribers: Register your account for digital access.Access Digital
Read MyStatesman.com now — 24-hour digital pass99¢ for 24-hours
Read MyStatesman.com all week — 7-day digital pass$3.99 for 7-days
Subscribe to the Statesman for as little as 33¢ per dayView Offers
BIG 12 POWER POLL
1. (1) Oklahoma State;10-1 (7-1);vs. Oklahoma (9-2), Sat.;All pistols firing, Cowboys pack most punch in these parts and should reach Fiesta unless they take siesta.
2. (2) Baylor;10-1 (7-1);vs. Texas (8-3), Sat.;Maybe Art Briles will channel his inner Grant Teaff and eat a worm for grand finale at Floyd Casey.
3. (3) Texas;8-3 (7-1);at Baylor (10-1), Sat.;Horns aced one-dimensional Tech exam, but ultimate Bear scare is defensing team that runs and throws.
4. (4) Oklahoma;9-2 (6-2);at Oklahoma State (10-1), Sat.;Sooners did nice job sticking around. To create Bedlam, though, they need QBs firing darts, not air balls.
5. (5) Kansas State;7-5 (5-4);bowl game TBA;Replacing 13 starters, it was no surprise they opened 2-4. Also no surprise expertly coached Cats closed 5-1.
6. (5) Texas Tech;7-5 (4-5);bowl game TBA;Sorry, Tech fans, but Kingsbury’s Raiders turned out just like Tuberville’s Raiders: early sizzle/late fizzle.
7. (8) TCU;4-8 (2-7);season over;If this keeps up, Frogs might wish they were back in Mountain West. Big-boy football is tall order.
8. (9) Iowa State;3-9 (2-7);season over;Tough sledding in Ames, yet long, hard winter isn’t nearly as bleak with Cyclones finishing 2-0.
9. (7) West Virginia;4-8 (2-7);season over;Disastrous campaign for Big 12’s distant, disjointed cousin, now 6-14 since 5-0 start. Lots of work needed.
10. (10) Kansas;3-9 (1-8);season over;Anyone for Mark Mangino do-over? Jayhawks 9-39 since they pushed big guy out the door after 2009.