For the Big 12, the league’s two-for-two swap in 2012 looks doubly bad halfway through year two.
On the incoming side, TCU and West Virginia have a combined record of 2-4 in conference play and 6-6 overall.
The story you’re reading is premium content from the Austin American-Statesman. Subscribers get total access to all our in-depth news, digital editions and exclusive premium content. You can also buy a 24-hour digital pass or 7-day digital pass.
Read MyStatesman.com now — 24-hour digital pass99¢ for 24-hours
Read MyStatesman.com all week — 7-day digital pass$3.99 for 7-days
Subscribe to the Statesman for as little as 33¢ per dayView Offers
For Subscribers: Register your account for digital access.Access Digital
For Subscribers: Sign in here if you have already registered your account.Sign In
BIG 12 POWER POLL
This week’s rankings offer an ode to the Centex drought-busting precipitation we’ve had recently:
Rnk (last) Team;Rec;Next opponent;The skinny
1. (1) Baylor;5-0 (2-0);vs. Iowa State (1-4), Sat.;Bears weather storm in Manhattan; now they’ll open floodgates on overmatched foe back home.
2. (3) Texas Tech;6-0 (3-0);at West Virginia (3-3), Sat.;Red Raiders, drenched in first-half success, rising faster than a parched Lake Travis.
3. (5) Texas;4-2 (3-0);at TCU (3-3), Oct. 26;Johnathan Gray and Malcolm Brown provided thunder while Daje Johnson delivered lightning in Dallas.
4. (6) Oklahoma State;4-1 (1-1);vs. TCU (3-3), Sat.;Storm chasers, beware: Cowboy attack can blow up into convective complex at any moment.
5. (2) Oklahoma;5-1 (2-1);at Kansas (2-3), Sat.;Ill-prepared Sooners plowed into teeth of nasty Texas front without so much as an umbrella.
6. (4) TCU;3-3 (1-2); at Oklahoma State (4-1), Sat.;After year and a half in Big 12’s rough seas, Horned Frogs barely treading water.
7. (7) West Virginia;3-3 (1-2);vs. Texas Tech (6-0), Sat.;Offense that once roared like state’s whitewater rapids has slowed to trickle.
8. (8 ) Kansas State;2-4 (0-3);vs. West Virginia (3-3), Oct. 26;Last year, Purple Reign; this year, major drought as Cats thirsty for even brief shower.
9. (9) Iowa State;1-4 (0-2);at Baylor (5-0), Sat.;One more narrow defeat and potentially dangerous Cyclones will be downgraded to tropical depression.
10. (10) Kansas;2-3 (0-2);vs. Oklahoma (5-1), Sat.;Proverbial dark cloud hanging over Jayhawks, who’ve dropped 23 straight conference games.