The dominoes start falling Thursday night in Waco.
When sixth-ranked Baylor plays 10th-ranked Oklahoma, it will be the biggest game of the Big 12 football season so far. Yet it’s just the first in a series of matchups between the five title contenders over the final weeks of the season.
The story you're reading is premium content from the Austin American-Statesman. Subscribers get total access to all our in-depth news, digital editions and exclusive premium content. You can now also buy a 24-hour digital pass or 7-day digital pass.
For Subscribers: Sign in here if you have already registered your account.Sign In
For Subscribers: Register your account for digital access.Access Digital
Read MyStatesman.com now — 24-hour digital pass99¢ for 24-hours
Read MyStatesman.com all week — 7-day digital pass$3.99 for 7-days
Subscribe to the Statesman for as little as 33¢ per dayView Offers
BIG 12 POWER POLL
1. (1) Baylor;7-0 (4-0);vs. Oklahoma (7-1), Thu.;Bears have outscored opponents by ridiculous 447-111 margin … but now the real fun begins.
2. (2) Texas;6-2 (5-0);at West Virginia (4-5), Sat.;Horns take 1,433-mile scenic ride to Morgantown for first time, aim to avoid mountain ambush.
3. (5) Oklahoma State;7-1 (4-1);vs. Kansas (2-6), Sat.;Ground-bound Cowboys now playing like preseason favorites, just not way we thought they’d do it.
4. (3) Oklahoma;7-1 (4-1);at Baylor (7-0), Thu.;Admit it: You never thought you’d see day when Stoops’ Sooners a 14-point underdog to Bears.
5. (4) Texas Tech;7-2 (4-2);vs. Kansas State (4-4), Sat.;Pretty soon they’re gonna start calling TE Jace Amaro, with four straight 100-yard games, ‘Baby Gronk.’
6. (6) Kansas State;4-4 (2-3);at Texas Tech (7-2), Sat.;Beware of dangerous Wildcats, locked and loaded after crushing past two foes by combined 76-19.
7. (8) West Virginia;4-5 (2-4);vs. Texas (6-2), Sat.;WVU looks for some ‘Country Roads’ magic from ex-Florida State passer Trickett and UH transfer Sims.
8. (7) TCU;3-6 (1-5);at Iowa State (1-7), Sat.;Three-game losing streak uncharted territory for Gary Patterson, whose offense is just plain offensive.
9. (10) Kansas;2-6 (0-5);at Oklahoma State (7-1), Sat.;No worries, Jayhawk fans. It’s basketball season. Andrew Wiggins will make you forget these guys.
10. (9) Iowa State;1-7 (0-5);vs. TCU (3-6), Sat.;Cyclones turn into bigger punching bag than Jayhawks, outscored 170-41 over past three weeks.