The Big 12 spent some time this summer gunning for the mighty SEC. Perhaps the conference should have been more concerned with the artists formerly known as Division I-AA.
While most eyes were on the Big 12 vs. SEC showdowns — they split two games on Texas turf — the Big 12 won just two of four against the lower-level Football Championship Subdivision and was 0-2 vs. the Missouri Valley Conference. We’re not talking Valley hoops, either.
The story you're reading is premium content from the Austin American-Statesman. Subscribers get total access to all our in-depth news, digital editions and exclusive premium content. You can now also buy a 24-hour digital pass or 7-day digital pass.
For Subscribers: Sign in here if you have already registered your account.Sign In
For Subscribers: Register your account for digital access.Access Digital
Read MyStatesman.com now — 24-hour digital pass99¢ for 24-hours
Read MyStatesman.com all week — 7-day digital pass$3.99 for 7-days
Subscribe to the Statesman for as little as 33¢ per dayView Offers
BIG 12 POWER POLL
Rank (last week) Team;Rec.;Next opponent;The skinny
1. (1) Oklahoma State;1-0;at Texas-San Antonio (1-0), Sat.;Cowboys spend 2nd straight week in Texas, playing and recruiting. This one looks like vacation.
2. (4) Oklahoma;1-0;vs. West Virginia (1-0), Sat.;New QB Knight wasn’t bad, but Sooner showstopper was rebuilt defense that pitched shutout.
3. (5) Baylor;1-0;vs. Buffalo (0-1), Sat.;Bulls aren’t gonna stop Bears’ explosive offense. Heck, Buffalo Bills might not smother Bears’ potent attack.
4. (3) Texas;1-0;at Brigham Young (0-1), Sat.;If Horns burn stingy Cougars repeatedly with big plays, then we’ll know they’ve got something special.
5. (2) TCU;0-1;vs. SE Louisiana (1-0), Sat.;Hardly seems fair to drop Frogs, who were brave enough to schedule LSU and lived to tell about it.
6. (7) Texas Tech; 1-0;vs. Stephen F. Austin (0-1), Sat.;Brilliant debut for walk-on QB Mayfield. Too bad he’s not allowed to chow down like scholarship guys.
7. (6) Kansas State;0-1;vs. Louisiana-Lafayette (0-1), Sat.;Don’t feel too awful, Wildcats. FCS juggernaut North Dakota State could beat lots of FBS programs.
8. (8) West Virginia;1-0;at Oklahoma (1-0), Sat.;Mountaineers rolled up 778 yards, 49 points on Sooners last year. Ain’t gonna happen this time.
9. (9) Iowa State;0-1;vs. Iowa (0-1), Sept. 14;Cyclones lost to little Northern Iowa, but don’t write them off vs. equally disappointing Iowa.
10. (10) Kansas;0-0;vs. South Dakota (1-0), Sat.;We demand proof Jayhawks can beat I-AA team before jumping them over ISU, which lost to one.