When college football preseason polls came out in August, they delivered one clear message regarding the Big 12: The conference lacked a national title contender.
Three weeks into the season, there’s still no sign of a superb Big 12 team.
The story you’re reading is premium content from the Austin American-Statesman. Subscribers get total access to all our in-depth news, digital editions and exclusive premium content. You can also buy a 24-hour digital pass or 7-day digital pass.
Read MyStatesman.com now — 24-hour digital pass99¢ for 24-hours
Read MyStatesman.com all week — 7-day digital pass$3.99 for 7-days
Subscribe to the Statesman for as little as 33¢ per dayView Offers
For Subscribers: Register your account for digital access.Access Digital
For Subscribers: Sign in here if you have already registered your account.Sign In
BIG 12 POWER POLL
Rank (Prev.) Team;Record;Next opponent;The skinny
1. (1) Oklahoma State;3-0 (0-0);at West Virginia (2-1), Sept. 28;SI report damaging, but NCAA sheriffs unlikely to catch up to Cowboys before year’s end.
2. (3) Oklahoma;3-0 (1-0);at Notre Dame (2-1), Sept. 28;Sooners, off to solid start, have plenty of time to scheme for revenge match vs. Golden Domers.
3. (2) Baylor;2-0 (0-0);vs. Louisiana-Monroe (2-1), Sat.;Don’t sleep on Warhawks, who hung 42 points on Bears last year and just beat ACC team.
4. (5) Texas Tech;3-0 (1-0);vs. Texas State (2-0), Sat.;Where is ESPN ‘GameDay’ crew for this battle of Lone Star unbeatens? Why, it’s in Fargo, N.D.
5. (4) TCU;1-2 (0-1);vs. SMU (1-1), Sept. 28;Frogs have reason to feel robbed in Lubbock. Now they get another dose of ex-Lake Travis QBs.
6. (6) Kansas State;2-1 (0-0);at Texas (1-2), Sat.;It’s that annual exercise of Cats’ 2- and 3-star recruits embarrassing Horns’ 4- and 5-star recruits.
7. (8) West Virginia;2-1 (0-1);vs. *Maryland (3-0), Sat.;Mountaineers take test drive in a Ford and like handling and grip of freshman QB Childress.
8. (7) Texas;1-2 (0-0);vs. Kansas State (2-1), Sat.;In baseball, first you fire batting or pitching coach. And if that doesn’t work, the manager’s next.
9. (9) Kansas;1-1 (0-0); vs. Louisiana Tech (1-2), Sat.;Charlie Weis looking for some sticky fingers after Jayhawks literally drop the ball against Rice.
10. (10) Iowa State;0-2 (0-0);at Tulsa (1-2), Sept. 26;Not good sign when coach says QB needs to stop throwing deep because line can’t protect him.
*Note: at Baltimore Ravens’ stadium