The Baylor Bears are fast becoming the Oregon Ducks of the Southwest … emphasis on “fast.”
Yep, those green-and-gold blurs zipping up and down the field at a frenetic pace, scoring points quicker than the scoreboard operator can keep up, are no longer just in Eugene, Ore.
The story you’re reading is premium content from the Austin American-Statesman. Subscribers get total access to all our in-depth news, digital editions and exclusive premium content. You can also buy a 24-hour digital pass or 7-day digital pass.
Read MyStatesman.com now — 24-hour digital pass99¢ for 24-hours
Read MyStatesman.com all week — 7-day digital pass$3.99 for 7-days
Subscribe to the Statesman for as little as 33¢ per dayView Offers
For Subscribers: Register your account for digital access.Access Digital
For Subscribers: Sign in here if you have already registered your account.Sign In
BIG 12 POWER POLL
Rank (Prev.) Team;Record;Next opponent;The skinny
1. (3) Baylor;3-0 (0-0);vs. West Virginia (2-2), Oct. 5;Any team that averages 48 points — in first half — is good enough to top our chart.
2. (1) Oklahoma State;3-0 (0-0);at West Virginia (2-2), Sat.;Pals Gundy, Holgorsen hook up, but only Cowboys coach has guns in his holster this year.
3. (2) Oklahoma;3-0 (1-0);at Notre Dame (3-1), Sat.;Sooners represent league’s last hope to knock off Top 25 nonconference opponent.
4. (4) Texas Tech;4-0 (1-0);at Kansas (2-1), Oct. 5;With Brewer healing, Red Raiders could have three-headed QB monster by time they play next.
5. (5) TCU;1-2 (0-1);vs. SMU (1-2), Sat.;Horned Frogs plan to fry Mustangs in Iron Skillet rivalry with heavy dose of ground game.
6. (8) Texas;2-2 (1-0); at Iowa State (0-2), Oct. 3;Solid win righted listing ship, but we really won’t know about turnaround until Oct. 12 in Dallas.
7. (6) Kansas State;2-2 (0-1);at Oklahoma State (3-0), Oct. 5;Loss to Cats’ usual play-toy Bevo a reminder this truly is rebuilding season for Snyder’s bunch.
8. (7) West Virginia;2-2 (0-1);vs. Oklahoma State (3-0), Sat.;Geno, Tavon, Steadman … come back! 37-0 loss to Maryland a black eye for entire league.
9. (9) Kansas;2-1 (0-0);vs. Texas Tech (4-0), Oct. 5;Jayhawks still can’t score a lick, but they’ll take rare winning record into October.
10. (10) Iowa State;0-2 (0-0); at Tulsa (1-2), Thur.;Cyclones better grab this one because next four are against Texas, Tech, Baylor and Okla. St.