Art Briles chuckled when the question of Baylor playing for college football’s national championship came up.
“We’ve got a long ways to go,” the Bears coach said. “Our season is still young. We’ve played eight games and still have four left, more than most folks. We’ve still got to face the bulk of the contenders in our league.”
The story you're reading is premium content from the Austin American-Statesman. Subscribers get total access to all our in-depth news, digital editions and exclusive premium content. You can now also buy a 24-hour digital pass or 7-day digital pass.
For Subscribers: Sign in here if you have already registered your account.Sign In
For Subscribers: Register your account for digital access.Access Digital
Read MyStatesman.com now — 24-hour digital pass99¢ for 24-hours
Read MyStatesman.com all week — 7-day digital pass$3.99 for 7-days
Subscribe to the Statesman for as little as 33¢ per dayView Offers
BIG 12 POWER POLL
1. (1) Baylor; 8-0 (5-0); vs. Texas Tech (7-3), Sat.; Shock and awe: Bears unleash Linwood from deep arsenal, and third-string tailback gashes Sooners for 182 yards.
2. (2) Texas; 7-2 (6-0); vs. Oklahoma State (8-1), Sat.; What can Brown do for you? Mack’s coaching, Malcolm’s running and Malcom’s tackling must deliver in bigger roles.
3. (3) Oklahoma State; 8-1 (5-1); at Texas (7-2), Sat.; Top Chelf? If Cowboys want to run herd, off-target quarterback must come out straight shootin’ and pistols firing.
4. (6) Kansas State; 5-4 (3-3); vs. TCU (4-6), Sat.; Two-headed QB monster comes to life for rampaging Wildcats, who’ve gobbled up past three opponents 125-45.
5. (4) Oklahoma; 7-2 (4-2); vs. Iowa State (1-8), Sat.; There once was Belldozer, who bulled over foes. Now he’s asked to go vertical, and a rocket launcher he is not.
6. (5) Texas Tech; 7-3 (4-3); vs. Baylor (8-0), Sat.; A trip to Jerry World to play Big 12 version of Saints. Yeah, 40 first downs, 625 yards allowed sound about right.
7. (7) West Virginia; 4-6 (2-5); at Kansas (2-7), Sat.; After nearly humming ‘Country Roads’ last week, Mountaineers don’t want to sing ‘Sweet Surrender’ to bowl hopes.
8. (8) TCU; 4-6 (2-5); at Kansas State (5-4), Sat.; Speaking of bowl ambitions, Frogs will snap eight-year postseason string unless they can find late-season magic.
9. (9) Kansas; 2-7 (0-6); vs. West Virginia (4-6), Sat.; Will this be where Jayhawks stomp out 27-game Big 12 losing streak? Nah, just one more week till Iowa State.
10. (10) Iowa State; 1-8 (0-6); at Oklahoma (7-2), Sat.; After getting ripped by 64, 31 and 34 points in previous three, Cyclones lost by only four. Baby steps, folks.