The final days of the Big 12 regular season are anything but a tuneup for next week’s conference tournament.
Fourth-ranked Kansas can nail down its ninth consecutive league title. For perspective, now that Xavier’s five-year run in the Atlantic 10 is over, nobody else current has won more than three in a row.
The story you're reading is premium content from the Austin American-Statesman. Subscribers get total access to all our in-depth news, digital editions and exclusive premium content. You can now also buy a 24-hour digital pass or 7-day digital pass.
For Subscribers: Sign in here if you have already registered your account.Sign In
For Subscribers: Register your account for digital access.Access Digital
Read MyStatesman.com now — 24-hour digital pass99¢ for 24-hours
Read MyStatesman.com all week — 7-day digital pass$3.99 for 7-days
Subscribe to the Statesman for as little as 33¢ per dayView Offers
BIG 12 POWER POLL
1. (1) Kansas; 26-4 (14-3); at Baylor 17-13), Sat.; We know how this movie ends … same as previous eight. All Jayhawks, all the time.
2. (2) Oklahoma State; 22-6 (12-4); at Iowa State (19-10), Wed.; Cowboy up: Marcus Smart has directed pistol-packin’ Pokes to 16 double-digit wins.
3. (3) Kansas State; 24-5 (13-3); at Oklahoma State (22-6), Sat.; School record for Big 12 victories, but epitaph will read: We had nothing for Kansas.
4. (4) Oklahoma; 19-9 (10-6); vs. West Virginia (13-16), Wed.; Ro Osby and friends 34 of 34 from line. Are we sure it wasn’t OKC Thunder shooting those?
5. (5) Iowa State; 19-10 (9-7); vs. Oklahoma State (22-6), Wed.; Cyclones lead nation in 3-point field goals, but they’ve got stop somebody to earn NCAA bid.
6. (6) Baylor; 17-13 (8-9); vs. Kansas (26-4), Sat.; Hey, bumbling Bears, beat KU and you’re back on bubble. Piece of cake, right?
7. (7) West Virginia; 13-16 (6-10); at Oklahoma (19-9), Wed.; Neither Big 12 newcomer brought anything to the table; in fact, they crippled league’s RPI.
8. (8) Texas; 14-16 (6-11); at Texas Tech (10-18), Sat.; If Horns rally to grab CBI tourney invite, it’ll be battle to see who’s No. 101.
9. (9) Texas Tech; 10-18 (3-14); vs. Texas (14-16), Sat.; If only Raiders could play Frogs every night. They’re 2-0 vs. TCU and 1-14 vs. everyone else.
10. (10) TCU; 10-19 (1-15); vs. Oklahoma (19-9), Sat.; As maiden voyages go, this one resembled Titanic’s, save for one glorious night vs. Kansas.