The San Marcos Airport will have room to expand after the San Marcos City Council voted this week to acquire 42 acres next to the airport.
The parcel, which will cost $650,000, is currently owned by Texas State University and is used as a traffic safety center, hosting classes like motorcycle safety and drivers education.
The city plans to use existing buildings on the property for office space for airport administrators. In the coming years, the property could be used to expand the airport itself, said Laurie Moyer, airport director.
“At some point in the future that land will be developed to support the airport,” she said.
City staff will be kicking off a planning project in the coming weeks to determine how the airport should grow, she said.
The city will only pay for 10 percent of the $650,000 price tag for the parcel. The other 90 percent of the cost will come from a Texas Department of Transportation grant program, Moyer said. The purchase still has to be approved by the Texas Transportation Commission.