1. SAT REBOOT A newly redesigned college entrance exam will roll out this school year for high school students and will no longer dock points for incorrect answers. It includes an optional essay and a return to the 1600-point scale.
2. BUS TRACKING The Leander school district installed GPS systems on school buses to give parents real-time data about the location of their child’s bus, including whether it’s running late.
3. CAREER FOCUS The Austin and Manor districts will debut learning centers for career and technical education: Austin’s Applied Technology Center will feature high-tech education in science, technology, engineering and math; Manor’s Career and Technical Center will offer college credit and job certifications.
4. STUDENT SHARING The Austin district’s high school students can now take classes at other schools. Under the student-sharing program, the district will bus participating students twice weekly to other schools to take courses not offered at their home campuses.
5. TRANSFER STUDENTS To boost dwindling enrollment, the Austin school district for the first year will allow students from other school districts to transfer in. More than 200 students signed up.
Send your first day of school photos to our Back to School gallery by email to email@example.com or tweet them to @statesman #atxfirstday.