9-year-old calls 911 after babysitter, girlfriend overdose


An Ohio child called 911 after her babysitter and the sitter’s girlfriend overdosed on drugs Sunday afternoon, according to a Dayton Police incident report.

The 9-year-old girl reported she was in an apartment with her two younger siblings, and 

her mother was on her way home, but it would take about an hour for her to reach them. 

>> Read more trending news 

Officers and emergency crews were dispatched to the scene.

“We were greeted at the door by two small children with tears running down their faces,” wrote the reporting police officer in the incident report. 

Police and medics located two unresponsive women when they arrived. One was halfway in the living room near the children. The other was in an area near the kitchen and bathroom. 

The women were identified as Leslie Harbarger, 45, and Angela Benda, 47. Both overdose victims were revived with Narcan.

Benda and Harbarger were transported to Miami Valley Hospital for treatment. 

“It should be noted that fire crews used every dose of Narcan they were carrying and I had to give two doses of my issued Narcan,” the reporting officer wrote. 

>> Got a question about the news? See our explainers here

According to police, Benda reported she ingested one heroin cap. Harbarger denied taking heroin, but said was known to abuse her prescription medication. 

Montgomery County Children Services was notified about the incident. 

A summons was issued for the two women in lieu of an arrest.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Nation & World

Young father killed by rock thrown from overpass; teenagers arrested
Young father killed by rock thrown from overpass; teenagers arrested

Michigan authorities are investigating the death of a young father killed Wednesday night when a large rock thrown from an Interstate 75 overpass north of Flint in Genesee County hit his windshield, according to WDIV-TV. Police took several teenagers into custody Friday for questioning in the death of Kenneth Andrew White, 32, of Mount Morris, who...
Family finds crawling worms in Cosco chicken at dinner table
Family finds crawling worms in Cosco chicken at dinner table

A Canadian family made a nauseating discovery while eating a chicken dinner last Thursday. The Mo family of Point Cook, Victoria were stunned to discover worms crawling in their cooked chicken. Leon Mo said he bought the $6 chicken breast from Costco while shopping with his wife. Mo told the Herald Sun that his daughter refused to eat the food...
After 56 years apart, they rediscovered a love they thought was lost forever
After 56 years apart, they rediscovered a love they thought was lost forever

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — On top of living 400 miles apart, William Bell and Omega Brown had one fundamental difference that should have been enough to keep them from meeting and falling in love: William, who lost his wife in 1995, always believed he was destined to remarry. Omega, on the other hand, had long ago given up on ever being in a relationship...
Man kills 416-pound wild boar in front yard of suburban Houston home
Man kills 416-pound wild boar in front yard of suburban Houston home

Wild boars are considered a pest in Texas, where the animals can cause significant property damage. So when Joe Clowers spotted a massive boar in the backyard of his suburban Houston home last weekend, he did what plenty of Texans do, he shot and killed it, the Houston Chronicle reported. Clowers sent a photo of the 416-pound beast to the Gregg County...
Teacher duct tapes 5th graders mouths shut to keep them quiet
Teacher duct tapes 5th graders mouths shut to keep them quiet

A substitute teacher at an elementary school in Killeen, Texas, has lost her job after allegedly duct-taping fifth-graders mouths shut to keep them quiet, according to news outlets. The incident, which lasted for several minutes, involved 10 students at Maxdale Elementary School, ABC News reported. Three additional students also placed...
More Stories