Congressional investigation launched after sexual harassment allegations against Rep. John Conyers


Update 4:40 p.m. Nov. 21: The House Ethics Committee has started an investigation into sexual harassment allegations against Michigan Democratic Congressman John Conyers at House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi’s urging.

Update 2:30 p.m. Nov. 21: House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi called for an ethics investigation Tuesday after allegations of sexual harassment surfaced against Rep. John Conyers, the longest-serving member of Congress.

"As members of Congress, we each have a responsibility to uphold the integrity of the House of Representatives and to ensure a climate of dignity and respect, with zero tolerance for harassment, discrimination, bullying or abuse,” Pelosi, D-California, said in a statement. “As I have said before, any credible allegation of sexual harassment must be investigated by the ethics committee.”

Conyers, D-Michigan, told The Associated Press on Tuesday that he was unaware of any allegations that he acted inappropriately toward women.

BuzzFeed News reported Monday that Conyers’ office paid a $27,000 settlement in 2015 to a woman who claimed she was fired from the lawmaker’s office because she refused his sexual advances. 

Original report: U.S. Rep. John Conyers denied on Tuesday that he’s settled sexual harassment complaints by staff members in the wake of a report that his office paid a former female employee $27,000 to settle a harassment-related wrongful dismissal complaint in 2015.

>> Read more trending news

Conyers, D-Michigan, told The Associated Press that he was unaware of any allegations that he has acted inappropriately toward women. He told the news wire that he only learned of the BuzzFeed News report that detailed the complaints on Tuesday morning.

A woman told BuzzFeed that she filed a wrongful dismissal complaint against Conyers in 2014 after he fired because she would not "succumb to (his) sexual advances."

>> Related: Sen. Al Franken accused of kissing, groping news anchor without consent

The case was settled in 2015. The woman, who was not identified, signed a confidentiality agreement and was rehired as a temporary employee with no job responsibilities. Over the course of three months, she was paid $27,000, BuzzFeed reported.

Documents from the case included signed affidavits from four other former Conyers staff members who said the lawmaker "repeatedly made sexual advances to female staff that included requests for sexual favors, contacting and transporting other women with whom they believed Conyers was having affairs, caressing their hands sexually and rubbing their legs and backs in public."

>> Related: Sen. Al Franken accused of groping woman in 2010

House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wisconsin, called the BuzzFeed report “extremely troubling” and reiterated that a review of House of Representative workplace harassment and discrimination policies was underway.

Ryan announced last week that the House of Representatives was implementing a new mandatory anti-harassment and anti-discrimination training policy for members and staff.

“Additional reforms to the system are under consideration as the committee continues its review,” Ryan said Tuesday. “People who work in the House deserve and are entitled to a workplace without harassment or discrimination.” 

>> Related: George H.W. Bush accused of groping woman while in office

Since 1997, Congress’ Office of Compliance has paid federal employees $17.2 million to settle complaints of employment rule violations, including complaints of sexual harassment, The Washington Post reported. The $27,000 paid to Conyers’ former employee in 2015 is not among those numbers, as the funds came from the representative’s office budget, according to BuzzFeed.

Conyers, who was first elected in 1964, is currently the longest-serving member of Congress, with 52 years of service.

He is the second sitting senator to face accusations of inappropriate conduct toward women. A woman on Monday accused Sen. Al Franken, D-Minnesota, of groping her as they posed for a photograph together at the 2010 Minnesota State Fair. Franken, who was accused last week of forcing himself on a Los Angeles news anchor in 2006, assumed office in 2009.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Nation & World

Girl attacked, killed by dog family owned for five days
Girl attacked, killed by dog family owned for five days

An Oklahoma family is mourning the loss of their 3-year-old daughter who was the victim of a dog attack. Rylee Marie Dodge was mauled by her family’s dog, an animal they said they had owned for only five days, KSWO reported. >> Read more trending news  Rylee’s father Jason was visiting his brother, when he got a call about the...
2 teens charged with murder in 74-year-old woman's death
2 teens charged with murder in 74-year-old woman's death

Police have arrested two Indianapolis teenagers, including an 18-year-old former nurse’s aide, in connection with the death of a 74-year-old woman, according to the Indy Star. Kiesha Summerhill and her 19-year-old boyfriend, Arion Cruthird, face murder charges in the Jan. 7 death of Alice Wright. The charges were announced by Brownsburg...
Apple hiring for work from home positions
Apple hiring for work from home positions

Apple is looking for additions to its workforce and you don’t even have to leave home.  The tech company is looking to fill about 50 AppleCare at-home positions to offer tech support of devices like iPhones, iPads and MacBooks, the Houston Chronicle reported.  >> Read more trending news  While working from home is a...
Lewandowski says he will testify this week in House Russia probe
Lewandowski says he will testify this week in House Russia probe

Corey Lewandowski, President Trump's former campaign manager, said in an interview broadcast Sunday that he will give testimony this week to a House committee probing Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election.  Lewandowski said on WABC-AM radio in New York that he expects to appear before the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence...
Japanese national broadcaster issues false North Korea missile alert
Japanese national broadcaster issues false North Korea missile alert

Japan's national public broadcaster issued a false alert about a North Korean missile launch Tuesday, just three days after Hawaii's Emergency Management Agency sent a false missile alert.  According to CNN, NHK sent a message to users of its phone app that said, "NHK news alert. North Korea likely to have launched missile. The government...
More Stories