Lawsuit: 2-year-old drank beverage contaminated by Starbucks barista’s blood


A California family has filed a lawsuit against Starbucks after they claim their toddler daughter drank a beverage that had been contaminated by a barista’s blood.

Amanda and Louis Vice, of Redlands, filed suit regarding a Feb. 6, 2016, visit to a Starbucks coffee shop in San Bernardino, according to a news release from the Frish Law Group in Los Angeles. The couple, their then-2-year-old daughter and Louis Vice’s mother visited the location and ordered drinks that they took home with them.

After drinking the beverages, they noticed a red smear on one of the signature Starbucks cups, as well as a strong metallic odor, the news release said. There was also a red stain on another of the cups, from which two of them, including the little girl, had been drinking. 

Amanda Vice told KTLA in Los Angeles that she didn’t see anything at first.

“Once we drank it, then we could see on the inside of the rim that there was blood,” Vice told the news station, adding that her daughter had been licking the lid and eating whipped cream from the inside of the cup.

After determining that no one in the family was bleeding, the Vices called Starbucks, at which point they “confirmed that there was, in fact, an employee who was bleeding, but had since been removed from the sales floor,” the law firm’s news release stated.

“My wife and my baby just drank someone’s blood,” Louis Vice told KTLA. “It was bad.”

The Vices were offered free drinks for a week, but were “extremely concerned” that they, their daughter or Louis Vice’s mother could become sick if the employee had any diseases communicable by blood, such as HIV, the couple’s lawyer, Stan Pekler, said in the news release. The manager initially agreed, but never followed through with having the employee get a blood test to reassure the family of their safety.

“The family was then left to schedule their own blood tests, causing extreme distress for the parents, as they had to watch their daughter be poked with a needle and agonizingly wait for the results,” Pekler said

Though the initial results were all negative, the family had to be retested again six months later to ensure that no HIV antibodies popped up after the round of tests. 

“This caused the family stress, nervousness, fright, anguish, grief, anxiety, worry and shock for several months while awaiting the second round of test results,” Pekler’s statement read. 

>> Read more trending news

Pekler and the family began negotiating with Starbucks for a proper resolution to the situation, and the company offered each family member $1,000 for their trouble, the statement said. 

“This does not begin to compensate the family for suffered injuries and damages for which Starbucks is liable,” the news release stated. “Immediately upon learning they had consumed beverages that contained human blood, the family experienced suffering, as well as feelings of anguish, fright, horror, nervousness, grief, anxiety, worry, shock, humiliation, and shame. They endured additional distress because Starbucks seemed to not care about their well-being and refused to direct the employee to undergo a blood test to ensure the family's safety.”

“We felt sick to our stomachs,” Amanda Vice told KTLA. “We shouldn’t have to worry about going to get something to drink and there being blood in our drink where we could get sick.”

The lawsuit seeks damages on claims of failure to warn the family, negligence, breach of express and implied warranty, fraud, intentional infliction of emotional distress, battery, assault, negligent hiring and negligent training and supervision, Pekler said

A Starbucks representative told KTLA that the company is aware of the lawsuit and is prepared to present its own case in court. 


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Nation & World

Over 170 Texas school districts allow staff to be armed
Over 170 Texas school districts allow staff to be armed

President Donald Trump has called for the arming of qualified teachers in the wake of a deadly shooting that left 17 people dead at a Florida high school, but in Texas dozens of school districts already allow staff members to carry firearms. Officials with the Texas Association of School Boards on Thursday told KSAT that they were aware of at least...
500 children may need revaccination; Orlando doctor arrested, officials say
500 children may need revaccination; Orlando doctor arrested, officials say

An Orlando, Florida, doctor has been arrested for Medicaid fraud. The Florida Department of Health and the Office of the Attorney General’s Medicaid Fraud Control Unit said Friday that Dr. Ishrat Sohail is accused of giving vaccines to patients with private insurance. The vaccines were intended for Medicaid patients and uninsured children as...
Olympian Gus Kenworthy rescues puppy from Korean dog meat farm
Olympian Gus Kenworthy rescues puppy from Korean dog meat farm

After rescuing dogs at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, freestyle skier Gus Kenworthy has rescued another puppy. People reported that Kenworthy announced he and his boyfriend, actor Matthew Wilkas, rescued a puppy named Beemo. The Associated Press reported that the two visited visited a dog farm in Siheung, South Korea, Friday. >> Read more...
Kentucky bill would terminate parental rights of babies born to drug-addicted mothers
Kentucky bill would terminate parental rights of babies born to drug-addicted mothers

The opioid epidemic in the U.S. has claimed millions of victims and has spread into even remote corners of American society.  >> Read more trending news  While critics have accused states and the federal government of being slow to act in addressing the crisis, there has been a recent spotlight on the pharmaceutical companies&rsquo...
Girl gives teacher her 75 cents in ice cream money to help with family funeral
Girl gives teacher her 75 cents in ice cream money to help with family funeral

A kind-hearted gesture by an Alabama sixth-grader has gone viral after the girl gave up her ice cream money -- 75 cents -- to help fund the funeral for her teacher’s father-in-law. Price Lawrence, an English teacher at Highlands Elementary School in Huntsville, posted about the moment Tuesday on Facebook. He said that his first period...
More Stories