You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to myStatesman.com

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and bonus content- exclusively for subscribers. Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks

X

Welcome to myStatesman.com

This subscriber-only site gives you exclusive access to breaking news, in-depth coverage, exclusive interactives and bonus content.

You can read free articles of your choice a month that are only available on myStatesman.com.

Statesman Exclusive

New squad will take up hundreds of Austin’s delayed rape investigations

Illinois to change sex-abuse law with help of Hastert victim


Illinois is set to eliminate the statute of limitations in child sex-abuse cases, a change prosecutors and a victim of former U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert called for after Hastert was imprisoned for violating banking laws while trying to silence a student he abused decades ago.

The Illinois House unanimously approved the legislation Thursday, sending it to Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner, who supports it.

State Attorney General Lisa Madigan argued Hastert's case provided a prime example of why Illinois should join 36 other states and the federal government in removing its time limits for charging people accused of child-sex crimes.

A federal judge dubbed Hastert "a serial child molester" at his sentencing last year, saying the former speaker sexually abused at least four former students at Yorkville High School in suburban Chicago from 1965 to 1981.

But Illinois law, which states victims of sex abuse have 20 years from their 18th birthday to report the crime so it can be prosecuted, prevented prosecutors from charging Hastert with sex abuse.

Instead he was charged with banking violations as he withdrew thousands of dollars, starting in 2010, to pay what was supposed to be millions in hush money to a victim. He was sentenced to 15 months in prison.

Victim Scott Cross told lawmakers at a hearing last fall that the sentence amounts to "a slap on the wrist" and that his victims were "silenced by Illinois' legal system." His voice shaking at times, the 54-year-old said it can take years for victims to come to terms with their abuse and overcome feelings of shame before they tell anyone.

Madigan said that child victims can spend their whole lives "trying to recover and heal."

"There should be no limitation on the pursuit of justice for felony sex crimes committed against children," she said Thursday in an emailed statement. "We must ensure survivors are able to come forward in their own time and receive the support they need and deserve."

Former U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois Zachary Fardon, who resigned in March, has said he would have pressed for sex-abuse charges against the Illinois Republican but the statute of limitations had long since run out.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Politics

Power struggle intensifies between White House, ethics office
Power struggle intensifies between White House, ethics office

White House officials are seeking to stop the federal government's top ethics officer from getting details about waivers granted to lobbyists and other appointees working in the administration, intensifying a power struggle between President Donald Trump and the ethics agency.   Walter Shaub, director of the Office of Government Ethics, sent...
Letter says Trump’s former National Security Adviser Flynn misled Pentagon
Letter says Trump’s former National Security Adviser Flynn misled Pentagon

  Michael Flynn, President Donald Trump’s former national security adviser, misled Pentagon investigators about his income from companies in Russia and contacts with officials there when he applied for a renewal of his top-secret security clearance last year, according to a letter released Monday by the top Democrat on the House oversight...
Trump seeks to sell off half of the Strategic Petroleum Reserve
Trump seeks to sell off half of the Strategic Petroleum Reserve

As part of its 2018 budget, the Trump administration is proposing to reduce by half the size of the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, a cushion against global price shocks and supply disruptions. The administration said it expects the drawdown to reduce the federal deficit by $16.6 billion, part of a package of deficit reduction measures over the next 10...
Lawyers are the big winners in the 2016 election interference investigation
Lawyers are the big winners in the 2016 election interference investigation

The appointment of Robert S. Mueller III as special counsel to oversee the Justice Department’s investigation of possible Russian involvement in the 2016 election means that White House staff members and others connected to President Donald Trump’s presidential campaign will need to do one thing quickly: Lawyer up.  The investigation...
What was that glowing orb Trump touched in Saudi Arabia?
What was that glowing orb Trump touched in Saudi Arabia?

A mysterious glowing orb is exerting uncanny power over the world’s social media.   President Donald Trump, King Salman of Saudi Arabia and President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi of Egypt entered a darkened room filled with row after row of computers in Riyadh, the Saudi capital, on Sunday evening.   They placed their hands atop...
More Stories