Investigators said last week that a preliminary report on the train-bus crash that killed four Texas tourists, including three from Central Texas, should be ready in two to three weeks.
Also Friday, Biloxi Mayor Andrew Gillich added a seventh railroad crossing to a list the City Council will vote on closing Tuesday.
However, it won’t be the Main Street crossing where a CSX Transportation train slammed into the tour bus. Instead it’s on Delauney Street, a side street that Biloxi Chief Administrative Officer Mike Leonard told WLOX-TV is among the most dangerous crossings.
“It doesn’t get a lot of traffic, but it’s at a point where trains are usually moving pretty fast right through the middle of the city here,” Leonard said.
National Transportation Safety Board spokesman Peter Knudson said in a news release that board investigators concluded work in Biloxi and have returned to their offices. He also said investigators interviewed the bus driver Wednesday. The board is asking any witnesses, or anyone with pictures, video or other relevant information to contact Pete Kotowski, the investigator-in-charge by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Biloxi had already been planning to close six of its 29 railroad crossings before the train hit the Echo Transportation bus, killing four and injuring dozens. The bus was filled with senior citizens who were on a tour of Gulf Coast casinos and other sights.