You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to myStatesman.com

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and bonus content- exclusively for subscribers. Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks

X

Welcome to myStatesman.com

This subscriber-only site gives you exclusive access to breaking news, in-depth coverage, exclusive interactives and bonus content.

You can read free articles of your choice a month that are only available on myStatesman.com.

Man files suit in Travis saying e-cigarette exploded in his pocket


Highlights

Matthew Bonestele sustained third-degree burns and lost a baseball-sized patch of skin on his upper thigh.

Suit seeks more than $1 million in damages.

A man has filed a wide-ranging lawsuit in Travis County for severe skin burns he says he suffered from a defective battery used to power an electronic cigarette.

Matthew Bonestele was carrying an LG Chem battery in his right pants pocket when it suddenly exploded on April 21, 2016, the lawsuit says. He sustained third-degree burns to most of his leg as well as a loss of skin in a baseball-sized section of his upper thigh.

The lawsuit alleges that the battery was defectively designed and manufactured, and that it lacked warnings to alert users to potential dangers.

“Mr. Bonestele suffered an injury that he could never have imagined in civilian life,” his attorney, Randy Sorrels of Houston, said in a statement. “The reality is that these batteries are small sticks of dynamite and the e-cigarette industry needs to make wholesale changes to insure the safety of all those who use these batteries. Further, the danger is not just limited to the user, but also to everyone that is near the user — including those in the same house who could be injured or killed by a resulting fire.”

Bonestele is seeking more than $1 million, according to the lawsuit, which names LG Inc. as one of three defendants along with Great Vapes LLC. and Lightfire Group LLC. The lawsuit says Bonestele bought the battery from Great Vapes, an e-cigarette retailer with a store in Midlothian, which had bought it from Lightfire Group, the distributor.

Lightfire Group, of Weston, Fla., filed a response to the lawsuit, denying any wrongdoing and saying Bonestele “may have negligently handled, utilized, or transported the product at issue.”

Sorrels said he filed the lawsuit in Travis County because he originally alleged that Austin’s Vapro Supply was the distributor of the battery. But Sorrels said he now thinks Lightfire, not Vapro Supply, was the distributor. Vapro Supply was dropped from the lawsuit in February.

“The lawyers gave us assurance they didn’t sell it,” Sorrels said. “If for some reason their assurance is wrong, there’s a way to rectify that.”

Another defendant, ShenZhen battery, also was removed from the amended suit and replaced by LG.

Sorrels said Bonestele, a veteran who lives south of Fort Worth, was sitting at home when the battery erupted in his pocket.

A skin graft procedure took skin from another part of Bonestele’s body to replace the lost skin on his leg, Sorrels said. Doctors say Bonestele will always have extreme sensitivity in the affected area, according to Sorrels.



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

Albino catfish snags pacifier at Virginia museum
Albino catfish snags pacifier at Virginia museum

It was the catch of the day for a fish at the Virginia Living Museum. >> Read more trending news  When a young guest dropped a pacifier in the museum’s Cypress Swamp exhibit earlier this week, an albino catfish caught it and began sucking on it, WTVR reported. Museum staff members were able to retrieve the pacifier and returned...
Arkansas executes fourth inmate in 8 days
Arkansas executes fourth inmate in 8 days

Arkansas executed its fourth inmate in eight days, as Kenneth Williams received a lethal injection Thursday night, KARK reported. Williams, 38, died at the Cummins Unit prison in Varner. He was convicted of killing a former deputy warden after he escaped from prison in 1999, The Associated Press reported. At the time of his escape, in a hog...
Southwest Airlines to end overbooking policy
Southwest Airlines to end overbooking policy

The CEO of Southwest Airlines said Thursday that the company will end its practice of overbooking, USA Today reported. >> Read more trending news Gary Kelly, discussing Southwest’s quarterly earnings on CNBC, said the airline has made the decision to “cease to overbook going forward, USA Today reported. “We&rsquo...
Police: Florida man takes stolen forklift for a spin
Police: Florida man takes stolen forklift for a spin

A Florida man allegedly stole a forklift just because it’s better than walking, police said. >> Read more trending news Bradley Barefoot, 43, was at a Best Buy in Daytona Beach when he used the fork lift to move “some large boxes to a neighboring parking lot,” The Daytona Beach News-Journal reported.  After he determined...
House’s pared-down school choice bill garners criticism, applause
House’s pared-down school choice bill garners criticism, applause

Parents, educators and advocacy groups Thursday night both lauded and lambasted a House bill that would create a school choice program for special education students. House Bill 1335 filed by Rep. Ron Simmons, R-Carrollton, would allocate state money to help special education students pay for private school tuition, among other non-public school expenses...
More Stories