Austin’s new Central Library finally opened Saturday to much praise from the community. After four years of construction, which kept pushing back the opening, locals swarmed the massive library, scouring out every inch of the building.
Here are the Instagram posts you need to see:
1. The crowds on opening day were no joke with hundreds of locals stopping in to “check out” the new location.
2. This library includes a “teen area,” but that didn’t stop Austin Mayor Steve Adler from getting in on the action.
3. The atrium is a natural light lover’s dream.
4. Seriously, Drake would have to pay extra for these views.
5. We haven’t even gotten to one of the best reading spots, the library’s gorgeous sunroom.
6. How do you top that? Oh, how about a rooftop lounge?
7. Nature lovers can enjoy a book while looking out onto Lady Bird Lake and the nearby trails.
8. Did we mention this place is bike friendly? A concierge is on staff to help bikers lock up their ride.
9. A spot along Shoal Creek in the heart of the Seaholm District downtown makes the location pedestrian-friendly too.
10. Like books, but love events more? The library has a small amphitheater area and plans to host events like cooking demonstrations.
11. The atrium also features a massive pendulum clock depicting (what else) grackles in a nest.
12. Every detail matters, and these bathroom mirrors would make the perfect selfie lighting.
13. In a town full of murals, what better background for a photo than great quotes about reading?
14. Don’t forget, this is a library, first and foremost. Nothing beats the smell and feel of a printed book (or two).
What a magical first trip to Austin's new main library! If you saw my stories yesterday, you know I've been waiting for this day for a very long time. (Discovered I've actually been waiting 8 years to be exact. But who was counting? 🙋🏼) I remember seeing the first plans for the new building and thinking I would be SO OLD when it was finished. Hahah (I hate you, younger self.)⠀⠀ .⠀⠀ Anyway I snagged some awesome new releases while I was there! You're probably going to see a lot more of this library in future posts. I'm so excited it's finally complete! 💕📚🎉
15. With nearly 200,000 square feet of space, there’s a reading nook and bookshelf for everyone.