Hutto City Council members support city manager against allegations


Highlights

3 Hutto City Councilmembers issued press release supporting city manager against discrimination allegations

The lawyer representing the 3 fired female city employees said they faced harassment and retaliation

Three Hutto City Council members defended City Manager Odis Jones in a press release Friday afternoon against allegations of discrimination related to his decision to fire three female employees.

“I feel the City has been betrayed by former administration,” Council Member Anne Cano said in the statement. “I’m confident that we have the right leadership to continue to take Hutto in the right direction; I look forward to the future.”

“Our new City Council made the decision to hire a new City Manager with a mission in mind; to clean up City Hall and help aid in our city’s struggle for real Economic Development,” Council Member Nate Killough said.

“To bring positive Economic Development, a new injection of professionalism was needed at City Hall. I stand behind our City Manager and his leadership decisions. As a Hutto City Council member, I not only supported the hiring of Mr. Jones, but I maintain my support of him and our mission.”

Council Member Tom Hines said: “I believe the actions of our city manager are in line with the direction he has been given by the City Council. I also believe, that any and all employment decisions and changes that have been made recently, have been carried out with the best interest of the City in mind.”

Attorney Millicent Lundburg said her clients, three former Hutto city employees, had been fired because one of them complained about harassment and two of them reported a complaint about harassment and discrimination against Jones to the city’s mayor.

Lundburg said she sent a letter to the Equal Opportunity Employment Commission about the employees’ complaints. The three former employees — Melanie Melancon, the former assistant city manager; Amy McGlothlin, the former human resources director; and Wallis Meshier, a senior planner — have not yet filed formal complaints with the EEOC.

Jones said in a press conference Thursday night he had fired the three employees because they lacked the skills for the job. Mike Shaunessy, a lawyer representing Hutto, said at the press conference Thursday that Jones had done nothing wrong and the former employees’ claims were unfounded.

Hutto Mayor Doug Gaul also said at the press conference he supported the city manager.



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

Pope Francis jokes with cloistered nuns in Peru
Pope Francis jokes with cloistered nuns in Peru

Pope Francis drew appreciative laughter Sunday when he addressed cloistered nuns in a Peruvian church, Reuters reported. The nuns were given special permission to leave their convents to see the pontiff speak in Lima. Francis spoke to the 500 nuns, known as “contemplatives” because they rarely venture away from their convents, on his...
Toddler at center of Texas Amber Alert found by police, is safe
Toddler at center of Texas Amber Alert found by police, is safe

UPDATE, 1/21/2018, 1:56 P.M.: Texas police said the 18-month-old boy at the center of an Amber Alert was found safe northeast of his San Antonio home, around noon Sunday, KENS reported. The boy's father and suspect was found "in grave condition" due to a self-inflicted gunshot wound, police told KENS. The toddler, Aaron Joseph Concepcion...
UPDATE: San Antonio murder suspect has been shot, toddler unharmed
UPDATE: San Antonio murder suspect has been shot, toddler unharmed

11:57 a.m. update: San Antonio police say homicide suspect Richard Concepcion is being treated for a self-inflicted gunshot wound and he is in grave condition. The 18-month-old child was found in backseat of truck unharmed in Guadalupe County. Earlier: A man suspected of murdering a woman and then taking their 18-month-old child is being pursued by...
McConnell rejects Trump's suggestion to use 'nuclear option' to break budget impasse
McConnell rejects Trump's suggestion to use 'nuclear option' to break budget impasse

On day two of the U.S. government shutdown, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Republicans would not adopt President Donald Trump’s call for a “nuclear option” to pass a budget with a simple majority, The New York Daily News reported Sunday. “The Republican Conference opposes changing the rules on legislation,&rdquo...
Several congressmen will donate pay during shutdown
Several congressmen will donate pay during shutdown

Led by Rep. John Delaney of Maryland, several members of Congress asked for their pay to be withheld during the government shutdown, CNN reported. “I don't think it's right for me to get paid during a government shutdown while my constituents are being furloughed and important and necessary services are being limited or halted all together...
More Stories