Austin’s new City Council members have moved into their offices, hired their staffs and received their committee assignments. If you live in Southeast Austin, here’s how you can reach your representative:
District 2 Council Member Delia Garza
Who she is:
Originally from San Antonio, Garza attended Texas A&M University and then began a job as a firefighter for the Austin Fire Department. Garza lived in Dove Springs while working as a fire cadet, and in 2003, she purchased her home in the Sweetbriar neighborhood.
After six years with the fire department, Garza left to attend Gonzaga University School of Law and was later hired by the Texas Attorney General’s office. She has served on several boards and committees, including Hermanos de East Austin and the Dove Springs Recreation Center Advisory Board.
What committees she’s on:
- Public Utilities (chairwoman)
- Open Space, Environment and Sustainability (vice chairwoman)
- Health and Human Services
- Austin Energy
Who’s on her staff:
- Laura Williamson: chief of staff, former policy aide for former Council Member Mike Martinez
- Katherine Avalos Nicely: policy aide, former contract urban planner
- Alexandra M. Landeros: constituent liaison, former communications and outreach director for Farm and Ranch Freedom Alliance
How to reach her office:
Office hours: 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. weekdays