Family that lost 9 in Sutherland Springs files claim against Air Force


Highlights

The claim accuses the service of negligence for failing to report details of the shooter’s criminal record.

The shooter, Devin Patrick Kelley, was in the Air Force when he was convicted of domestic violence in 2012.

The Holcombe family, which lost nine members in the Sutherland Springs church massacre earlier this month, has filed a federal claim accusing the U.S. Air Force of negligence for failing to report information about the shooter’s criminal record that could have prevented him from obtaining the weapons used in the shooting.

The claim is a first step toward a possible lawsuit against the Air Force if the service denies responsibility for the Nov. 5 attack, in which former Air Force member Devin Patrick Kelley killed 26 people and injured 20 others.

Among the dead were Holcombe family members Karla, Bryan, Crystal, her unborn child and five others.

The claim, filed on behalf of Joe and Claryce Holcombe, Bryan Holcombe’s parents, says Bryan, an associate pastor at the church and identified in the document as “JB,” was shot in the back as he walked toward the front of the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs to lead the congregation in worship.

RELATED: Sutherland Springs church shooting victims identified

“Incredibly, and quite frankly tragically, the Department of Defense, the U.S. Air Force, and others, were aware as far back as 1997, and more specifically in at least 2015, that the U.S. Air Force (as well as other branches of the United States military) routinely failed to report such required criminal arrest and conviction information,” the claim says.

The claim goes on to outline Kelley’s behavior leading up to the shooting, including the domestic violence charge he faced for fracturing his son’s skull and threatening his wife with an unloaded firearm, as well as reports of threats against superiors in the Air Force and the bad conduct discharge that ended his military career.

Kelley was convicted of the domestic violence charge in 2012, and that should have prevented him from owning, possessing or purchasing the weapons used in the attack, but the Air Force admitted shortly after the massacre that the conviction had not been reported to the proper authorities.

“Although the shooter undoubtedly ‘pulled the trigger’ that resulted in the injuries and death of JB Holcombe and others, the failures of the U.S. Air Force, and others, allowed the shooter to purchase, own and/or possess the semiautomatic rifle, ammunition and body armor he used, and it is these failures that were a proximate cause, in whole or in part, of the injuries and the death of the decedent,” the claim says.

The Associated Press on Tuesday reported that the Air Force said its failure to report Kelley’s criminal history was part of a pattern of such lapses, citing failures in training and compliance. The Air Force told the AP it has taken actions to ensure such failures are prevented in the future.

COMPLETE COVERAGE: Sutherland Springs church shooting

The Holcombe family is seeking unspecified damages for losses, including “past and future income, support, society, love, grief, consortium, services, guidance, care, comfort, companionship and inheritance of the decedent,” the claim said.

Christopher Foster, a family friend, noted the financial challenges ahead for the surviving members of the Holcombe family in an online fundraising account he set up shortly after the shooting.

“It’s going to take a lot of funds to cover eight funerals, lost wages, perhaps child/adult counseling, and who knows what else,” Foster said in a Facebook message at the time. “No matter what number the (fundraiser) reaches, it will never be enough. But everything helps.”



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

Can’t get to the Alamo Drafthouse because of ice? Here is your refund 
Can’t get to the Alamo Drafthouse because of ice? Here is your refund 

The folks are the Alamo Drafthouse are offering refunds to anyone who purchased tickets to movies today and cannot make it due to inclement weather. To wit:
Police: 13 siblings held captive in California residence
Police: 13 siblings held captive in California residence

Update 1:20 p.m. Jan. 16: Officials said at a news conference Tuesday afternoon that the 13 siblings taken from a California home after they were held captive by their parents for an undisclosed period of time are recovering. The siblings, who range in age from 2 to 29, were in stable condition Tuesday. “They’re very friendly, they&rsquo...
Community news: [Re]Verse Pitch opens Wednesday

TRAVIS COUNTY DOWNTOWN AUSTIN [Re]Verse Pitch opens Wednesday The city of Austin will host the opening pitch event for the annual [Re]Verse Pitch Competition from 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at Atlassian, Suite 1600, 303 Colorado St. The free opening pitch event will allow attendees to hear from the participants, learn about the products and meet the material...
Two wrecks in Williamson County blamed on ice
Two wrecks in Williamson County blamed on ice

The icy weather Tuesday morning caused two collisions in Williamson County but otherwise there were few problems reported, officials said. One of the collisions was in Coupland and one was at West Whitestone Boulevard and Lone Star in Cedar Park, said Connie Watson, a county spokeswoman. “Early this morning, people were staying off the roads...
Austin’s ice day can’t stop Franklin Barbecue line
Austin’s ice day can’t stop Franklin Barbecue line

On this odd and frigid January Tuesday in Central Texas, with widespread school and business closures on a snow day with some ice but little snow in much of Austin, some people saw a delicious opportunity. “We have about 30 people in line right now,” Benjamin Jacob, general manager of Franklin Barbecue, said about 10 a.m., an hour or so...
More Stories