By the numbers: ‘Girl Day’ at UT’s Cockrell School of Engineering


“Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day” at the University of Texas on Saturday is when more than 6,000 girls head to the Cockrell School of Engineering for hands-on science lessons and fun.

By the numbers:

6,400: Kindergarten through eighth-grade students registered for the event.

150: Activities throughout the day.

7,200: Inches of rainbow electrical tape to create LED butterflies.

12,000: Straws to create sustainable pinwheels.

1,950: Toy animals to save by constructing parachutes.



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

WEATHER: Scattered rain, storms possible across Austin today
WEATHER: Scattered rain, storms possible across Austin today

Monday forecast for Austin: Scattered storms are expected across the Austin area today, with a 60 percent chance of rain throughout the day, which will drop to 40 percent this evening, the National Weather Service says. However, once again the worst of the rain will be focused in West Texas, out in the Edwards Plateau. The Austin area is only...
Proposed MoPac settlement terms to become public Tuesday
Proposed MoPac settlement terms to become public Tuesday

Details of a settlement between the MoPac toll project’s government overseer and its tardy contractor should emerge this morning, when the Central Texas Regional Mobility Authority board is scheduled to discuss the deal in closed session and then vote on it in public. Officials could announce, as well, the opening date of the next section of...
Court backs, for now, Ken Paxton prosecutors in fight over payment
Court backs, for now, Ken Paxton prosecutors in fight over payment

The state’s highest criminal court late Monday temporarily halted a lower-court order that had blocked payments to prosecutors in the criminal case against Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton. The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals gave Collin County — which had sued to halt the payments, saying they were based on an excessive $300 rate &mdash...
Sheriff will enforce immigration detentions after SB 4 court ruling
Sheriff will enforce immigration detentions after SB 4 court ruling

Travis County Sheriff Sally Hernandez ordered her office to start honoring all federal immigration detention requests placed on local jail inmates after a federal appeals court ruling Monday allowed parts of Senate Bill 4, the controversial “sanctuary cities” ban, to go into effect. The appellate court’s order essentially undoes Hernandez&rsquo...
Judge to rule on DA’s request to put hold on Rep. Dukes’ felony charges
Judge to rule on DA’s request to put hold on Rep. Dukes’ felony charges

After admitting they were caught off guard by a flip-flopping witness in state Rep. Dawnna Dukes’ corruption case, Travis County prosecutors are asking a judge to grant a trial delay so they can have more time to prove 13 felony charges. The outcome of a hearing Tuesday afternoon will determine whether the district attorney’s office gets...
More Stories