It’s 2013; don’t be afraid to wear white before Memorial Day. Not only can you wear it, but you also can rock an entire white look. Designers participating in Austin Fashion Week’s Saturday opening event, Noir, will present one all-white design for a Blanc Runway Show that features fashions from avant garde to classic. Guests will contrast the runway looks with all-black attire.
This year’s fashion week, changed from August to May, celebrates five years of weeklong festivities including runway shows and designer awards and introduces new ways fashionistas can interact with the festival. For the first time, the official opening fashion event also includes a seated dinner at Brazos Hall. Runway shows, previously at the Driskill Hotel, will move to La Zona Rosa, where audience members can now text-to-buy runway looks. When a must-have design is spotted, text a number and expect a direct response from the designer in a few days. And for those not in the Austin area, live streaming of the runway shows will be available.
The story you're reading is premium content from the Austin American-Statesman. Subscribers get total access to all our in-depth news, digital editions and exclusive premium content. You can now also buy a 24-hour digital pass or 7-day digital pass.
For Subscribers: Sign in here if you have already registered your account.Sign In
For Subscribers: Register your account for digital access.Access Digital
Read MyStatesman.com now — 24-hour digital pass99¢ for 24-hours
Read MyStatesman.com all week — 7-day digital pass$3.99 for 7-days
Subscribe to the Statesman for as little as 33¢ per dayView Offers
How can you pull off wearing all white?
Austin Fashion Week designers Amber Perley, Jessica Ciarla and Christi du Mesnil Craven share some tips.
- Play with all the shades of white to find what works best for you.
- Pair with metallic accessories.
- If you don’t want to feel too bridal, throw on a tuxedo jacket before heading out to that cocktail party.
- Try a nude heel or gold wedge for spring and summer.
- Stay away from a spray tan.
- White can be pretty on any skin color. If you have fair skin, bring out the color somewhere else, like with lip gloss.
Four steps to keeping white clothes clean
- Pretreat stains with dishwashing liquid or liquid detergent.
- Wash your whites separately in hot water.
- Instead of chlorine bleach, try oxygen bleach.
- Try a laundry booster such as borax or washing soda.
Source: Martha Stewart Living
Austin Fashion Week
When: Friday-May 11
Where: Noir opening event at Brazos Hall on Saturday; Runway shows at La Zona Rosa on Wednesday-May 10; Austin Fashion Awards at Austin Music Hall on May 11, plus various fashion shows in local stores
Information and tickets:fashionweekaustin.com
Catch all the latest looks from Austin Fashion Week with daily updates at Statesman.com/style.