Key witness in Lockhart balloon crash killed in motorcycle accident


Alan Lirette gave investigators a lengthy statement in August about the balloon crash that killed 16 people.

Safety officials say his death won’t affect investigation into balloon accident.

Federal officials are expected to present findings on the cause of the crash early this year.

A key witness in the federal government’s investigation into the deadly hot air balloon crash near Lockhart died last week after his motorcycle veered off of FM 1626 and struck a sign post in southern Travis County.

Alan Thomas Lirette, 60, headed up the ground crew for Heart of Texas Balloon Rides and led the frantic search for the missing balloon after he lost contact with pilot Alfred “Skip” Nichols on the morning of July 30. Nichols and 15 paying passengers died when the balloon struck power lines near Maxwell in the deadliest balloon crash in modern U.S. history.

According to the Texas Department of Public Safety, Lirette was driving eastbound at 5:25 a.m. Dec. 27 when he left the road and struck a sign post, sending his motorcycle into the air and throwing him off of it. The Travis County medical examiner’s office ruled Lirette’s death an accident. He wasn’t wearing a helmet.

Lirette, who was known as “Bubba,” was a free spirit, said his mother, Tommi Dolores Hooban of Buda: “He loved his life, and he lived it to the full extent. He always lived his life on the edge.”

Hooban said her son didn’t have a long history of ballooning, but he was very excited when he met Nichols about three years ago and joined his chase crew, which follows hot air balloons on the ground to their landing sites.

Hooban said that Lirette, who also worked in construction, cherished his association with Nichols and eventually rented a room at his house. Lirette, she said, was taking the balloon crash “very, very, very hard. He was very close to Skip.”

Lirette provided the National Transportation and Safety Board’s investigators with a lengthy statement in August, giving the agency its most detailed look at the events leading up to the fatal balloon flight.

Lirette’s death won’t affect the safety board’s investigation into the accident, which is expected to wrap up in the coming months, agency spokesman Eric Weiss said. Officials are expected to submit a final report that includes the probable cause of the accident and safety recommendations later this year.

Lirette, a Louisiana native who previously lived in Massachusetts and Florida, told investigators that he took care of the house where he lived with Nichols in Kyle, and had worked with Nichols for the last three years.

He helped on preparations for that morning’s flight, setting up the balloon, conducting safety checks and making sure champagne and orange juice were in the van for the passengers, according to his interview with the safety board. He told investigators he was aware that “Skip had a ‘colorful’ past, but was a good man that had turned things around.”

At a Dec. 9 investigatory hearing in Washington, D.C., officials revealed that Nichols — a recovering alcoholic with a long history of drunken driving convictions that made him ineligible for a Texas driver’s license — had a bevy of powerful prescription drugs in his system, including oxycodone, Valium and muscle relaxants, that could have led to the loss of his pilot’s license had federal aviation officials known of them.

Officials also questioned Nichols’ decision to fly despite a cloudy forecast that persuaded several other Central Texas balloon operators to cancel their flights.

Lirette told investigators that conditions at the time of the launch were “beautiful” and there was “no indication of any problems.” The pole he and Nichols used to gauge conditions at the Fentress Airpark was clear of fog. As Lirette set up the balloon, he noticed a shift in the wind, but that “did not concern him,” according to the investigative report.

Lirette said he lost visual contact with the balloon about 15 minutes after the launch when the balloon disappeared into fog near the Texas 130 toll road. After receiving a final message from Nichols at 7:26 a.m., Lirette said he was unable to reach the pilot through voicemail or a messaging app. After calling passengers’ cellphones, he said he and his crew entered “panic mode” and started driving towards San Marcos, where they came across the crash site in a field with several cars next to it.

In the hours after the crash, Lirette, whose criminal record included theft and burglary convictions in Florida and drunken driving and arson convictions in Texas, spoke with several media outlets before declining to speak further. The “only thing I want to talk about is that (Nichols) is a great pilot,” Lirette told The Associated Press. “There’s going to be all kinds of reports out in the press, and I want a positive image there too.”

Reader Comments ...

Next Up in Local

Workers gather at state Capitol to defend labor unions’ rights

More than a dozen people marched Saturday from the Capitol to a statue of Martin Luther King Jr. on the University of Texas campus to defend workers’ rights to organize and collectively bargain. The event, called the Working People’s Day of Action, was held in conjunction with similar marches across the country Saturday, which was the 50th...
George P. Bush absent from candidate forums as rivals gun for a runoff
George P. Bush absent from candidate forums as rivals gun for a runoff

In 2014, the future belonged to George P. Bush. Elected to statewide office his first time out, out-polling even Greg Abbott, he was the scion of one of America’s great political dynasties. He was the grandson and nephew of presidents and the son of someone who, at that moment, looked like he might have been about to become president. Young and...
Advocates join effort to fix Austin police DNA lab problems
Advocates join effort to fix Austin police DNA lab problems

As lawyers and scientists continue to review hundreds of criminal cases that might have been affected by the Austin Police Department’s now-shuttered DNA lab, members of a stakeholders advisory group have started meeting to evaluate what went wrong and how to avoid mistakes in the future. The lab shut down in 2016 after a state audit found problems...
Perilous times for historically black colleges
Perilous times for historically black colleges

Two years ago, Amelia Smith received the one thing she thought she always wanted – a blue envelope from Spelman College. She had been accepted to what many consider the finest black college in America. Her grandmother went to Spelman. So did her mother. And her aunt. And her sister, who’s a senior there now. So Smith wasn’t surprised...
UT police investigating domestic assault on campus Friday night
UT police investigating domestic assault on campus Friday night

University of Texas police are investigating an aggravated assault that occurred Friday night in an on-campus dorm, officials said in a safety alert. According to police, a UT student reported being assaulted Friday night by her boyfriend, who is also a UT student. The incident occurred in the Jester residence hall, authorities said. Police said they...
More Stories