Police are searching for a man who gunned down a driver in a suspected road rage incident in Northeast Austin on Tuesday afternoon.
The driver, identified Wednesday as 48-year-old Alfred A. Lockett, was shot to death in a CVS Pharmacy parking lot at the intersection of East Parmer Lane and Dessau Road shortly before 4:30 p.m.
Medics, responding within minutes to reports of the shooting, found Lockett wounded, lying next to his teal Infiniti sedan. Bystanders had earlier pulled Lockett out of the car and performed CPR, but he died from his injuries at the scene, police said.
Witnesses told investigators they saw the Infiniti follow a red Toyota Camry with black rims and darkened windows just before the shooting. The vehicles sped toward Parmer Lane on Dessau Road until the Toyota pulled off into the parking lot, followed by the Infiniti, police said.
“The driver of the Toyota exited and walked back toward Lockett, who remained sitting inside the Infiniti,” police said in a statement. “The driver of the Toyota raised a handgun and fired into Lockett from several feet away.” The shooter then hopped back into the Toyota and took off.
Lt. Jason Staniszewski said investigators recovered the Toyota in the 2000 block of East Yager Lane, less than a half-mile from the spot where Lockett was killed.
The license plates were still attached to the car, he said, but authorities hadn’t publicly identified a suspect by Wednesday afternoon.
Witnesses told police the shooter was roughly 5-foot-10 with a thin build and short brown hair.
Staniszewski said nothing indicated that Lockett was armed when he was shot, and nothing suggested that he knew the man who shot him.
Investigators are reviewing surveillance footage from security cameras to see if the deadly encounter was recorded, and an autopsy on Lockett was underway, police said.
Anyone with information on the incident is asked to call Austin police’s homicide tip line at 512-477-3588.
Lockett’s death was Austin police’s 24th homicide case in 2017, and it was the sixth such death since the beginning of August:
- Aug. 3: Quintin Vargas, 19, was fatally shot in the 6600 block of Marble Creek Loop. Police said Vargas was trying to rob a 16-year-old of guns and drugs when he was shot.
- Aug. 13: Allen Niedermann, 57, was beaten to death in the 2500 block of West Anderson Lane. Police responding to an unrelated call said they saw Ross C. Barrow kicking and stomping Niedermann and took Barrow into custody.
- Aug. 20: Valente Garcia-Hernandez, 35, was shot and run over in the 8900 block of Galewood Drive. Police charged Gustavo Sandoval Linan, 28, but think he fled to Mexico after the killing.
- Aug. 23: Benson Briseno, 29, was found dead in the 1800 block of Rundberg Lane. Police have not yet identified a suspect.
- Aug. 31: Charles Edward Peterson III, 59, was found dead inside his home in the 7500 block of Berkman Drive. Police charged Dijon Reid, Peterson’s 28-year-old roommate, in the killing.
View our database of Austin homicides, including incident summaries, photos, maps and status updates on cases, at apps.statesman.com/homicides.