New sheriff’s policy limits cooperation with immigration officials


Highlights

Under new policy, the jail won’t hold most suspects for immigration officials without a court order or warrant.

Travis County could lose up to $1.8 million in grants because of the new policy.

In a major policy shift that is already being met with controversy, Travis County Sheriff Sally Hernandez on Friday announced that she is scaling back the amount of help her department provides federal immigration agents in detaining suspects who might be in the country illegally.

Traditionally, the county has honored nearly all requests by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement to hold a suspect booked into jail when agents have wanted to investigate their status further.

However, effective Feb. 1, sheriff’s officials will honor so-called immigration holds or “detainers” placed by federal authorities only when a suspect is booked into the Travis County Jail on charges of capital murder, aggravated sexual assault and “continuous smuggling of persons.”

Otherwise, federal agents must present a court order or arrest warrant signed by a judge for the jail to continue housing a person whose immigration status is in question, according to Hernandez’s policy, which she released Friday.

“The public must be confident that local law enforcement is focused on local public safety, not on federal immigration enforcement. Our jail cannot be perceived as a holding tank for ICE or that Travis County deputies are ICE officers,” Hernandez said in a video announcement.

Hernandez campaigned on the issue last year, but hadn’t made any public comments about her stance since taking office this month.

Greg Casar, an Austin City Council member who has opposed unlimited deference to federal immigration authorities, praised the sheriff’s announcement.

“Her policies will help all families, immigrants or not, feel more comfortable reporting crime to law enforcement,” Casar said in a statement Friday. “This is especially important in District 4, where over a third of our population is made of up immigrants. Sheriff Hernandez’s policies focus on community trust and public safety over politics.”

This week, the American-Statesman reported that she had notified the county that it would soon no longer be complying with federal agents’ requests in many cases. The county consequently could lose up to $1.8 million in grants because the governor’s office requires compliance in order to receive grants.

Shortly after Hernandez’s announcement Friday, Gov. Greg Abbott tweeted: “The Governor’s Office will cut funding for Travis County adopting sanctuary policies. Stiffer penalties coming.”



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

Some Manor homes evacuated due to large gas leak
Some Manor homes evacuated due to large gas leak

Manor police and firefighters responded to a large gas leak Monday in the 700 block of North Bastrop Street, Manor city officials said. A construction crew hit the line while digging, city officials said. At 6 p.m., city officials said first-responders were evacuating homes within three blocks from the leak in each direction. Residents and commuters...
Poll: George P. Bush and Sid Miller ahead but could face runoffs
Poll: George P. Bush and Sid Miller ahead but could face runoffs

Land Commissioner George P. Bush and Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller are both facing fluid races heading into the March 6 Republican primary, raising the possibility of being forced into runoff elections, according to the results of a University of Texas/Texas Tribune poll released Monday. While poll results showed that Bush and Miller had more...
Four people vying for two seats on the Hutto City Council
Four people vying for two seats on the Hutto City Council

Four people have filed to run for two places on the Hutto City Council in the May election. Incumbent Thomas Hines, a firefighter, is seeking re-election for place 2 in the council. He’s running against Gay McMillan, an artist and writer. Two people are also running for the place 5 seat currently occupied by Lucio Valdez, who is not seeking re-election...
Texas Digest: San Antonio man shot by DPS trooper dies

SAN ANTONIO Man shot by DPS trooper dies A man who shot and wounded a state trooper before a trooper shot him has died. Sgt. Deon Cockrell, a Department of Public Safety spokesman, said 33-year-old Ernest Manuel Montelongo of San Antonio died Monday at a hospital. Cockrell said the trooper who was wounded Sunday should recover. Authorities said that...
Police: Child, 4 adults shot outside San Antonio restaurant

A masked shooter opened fire on a family waiting to be seated at a San Antonio restaurant, wounding a 6-year-old boy and four of his relatives, police said Monday. San Antonio Police Chief William McManus said shortly after the Sunday night shooting that the boy had been shot in the leg and was expected to survive but that two of the adults’...
More Stories